Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 2007 Pilot LX 4WD. Bought it new when it came out and it’s been great until the past month. I recently went on a long road trip (1,800 miles) and the car had no problems - the morning after the trip, however, it began to overheat rapidly. Took it to the shop and the mechanic said nothing came up on the chemical test for blown head gasket, and pressure test to check for coolant leaks came back negative as well. A gallon of coolant was missing but they “couldn’t figure out where it went.”

This was about three weeks ago.

Yesterday, I was driving on the highway and all of a sudden the check engine light, VTM-4 light, and oil light all were on. The temperature gauge was in the red zone. I pulled over and waited for the car to cool down. No apparent coolant leakages - reserve tank was still full. After it cooled, I tried to start the engine, but it wouldn’t turn over. Major bummer - this car has been so awesome.

Any thoughts? Can’t just be the radiator since it won’t turn on ... I’m thinking it could be a blown head gasket :( Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
326 Posts
If it wasn't a head gasket then, it surely could be now. Actually, if it won't turn over, I'm thinking it's either hydrolocked, or possibly spun bearing.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,035 Posts
More possibilities: water pump failure or the radiator has suffered an internal collapse blocking the flow of coolant.
Did the cooling fans come on?
was AC I use?
Any clouds of steam behind you?
I’d start with the radiator... drain, remove inspect and cheap money replace.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
I'll bet that overflow is full alright. Full of grey milkshake, extra foamy.
If it was that, wouldn't it be blowing out of the bottle all over the engine bay?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,823 Posts
Check the radiator coolant, engine oil, and transmission fluid. Report back what they look and smell like.

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 7 of 7 Posts