Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2007 pilot cranks but won’t start!

12K views 40 replies 11 participants last post by  plplplpl 
#1 ·
Hello, Saturday my pilot started up rough/missing but it smoothed out after 5-10 seconds and drove fine and also started twice after this. I go to start it Sunday and it cranks and sounds like it’s going to start but it will not.

ive checked fuel and it’s coming out of the fuel line near the firewall and I’ve tried start fluid in the intake.

I’ve scanned it and no codes pending or stored, I’ve tried a different relay for the pgm-fi under the dash. When I had the scanner on it shows Rpms going to 150-200 when cranking.

I need to retest but it appears I don’t have spark but I’ve checked all the fuses and they are all good.

i am lost on what to do next I’ve done all the basics besides compression test but the engine sounds normal just like it’s not cranking hard enough or fast enough since it’s only going to 150-200 rpms

Any advice is appreciated!

#2 ·
#3 ·
I will try that, I’ve been looking at the green key it illuminates and then shuts off so I counted that out but it won’t hurt to try at this point.
After looking at your link I’m not so sure I pulled the correct relays for the main. I have a bank of 5 relays under the dash drivers side 1 gray 2 blue 2 brown

#4 ·
If your second key doesn't work, the next step on the ease and cost scale would to switch out your relays with known good ones.

#5 ·
I’ll try that when I get home! I hope that’s it and I tried a different relay with no luck but I seen you mentioned it’s possibly above the fuse panel so I am going to check there too Incase my relay was not in the cluster.

I forgot to mention the check engine light flashes 5 times before shutting off with the key on

#7 ·
And you say you have fuel so it's not the fuel pump, most likely.

Just because it's the next relatively easy and inexpensive think to try, check all your spark plugs and then retorque them to spec.

While you're at it inspect your coil packs and maybe even switch them around.

Those are a couple of things to try before digging deeper.

#12 ·
Have you verified the engine air filter isn’t clogged up?

The slow/rough start also reminds me of when my neighbor’s EGR valve malfunctioned and he had a heck of a time getting his Camry started, but once it was warmed up it ran fine.

Reactions: 2_Stroke
#15 ·
I would see if it has spark. Pull one of the coilpacks and put an old plug in it. Lay the plug on a metal part of the engine to ground it and see if it has spark.

You said it would not start on starting fluid so to me that seems like it is an ignition or engine timing issue.

#33 ·
Did you only visually check the fuses? Or did you measure resistance with a multimeter? You might not see a hairline crack in the fuse, but the meter will tell you it’s an open circuit.

Reactions: plplplpl
#17 ·
Do you have a factory service manual? I don’t have one for an 07 but my 04 shows that you should have power on fuse 11 (15amp) when you turn the key to run. From there it runs the black & yellow wire to the coil packs. If all that has power it somethings on the PCM side of the circuit. Again that is for an 04.
On the 04 there is the power part (fuse 11) and the trigger part (PCM part). I would narrow down which of those 2 is the issue.

#18 ·
#20 ·

I’ve searched for this relay bank with no luck. I’ve found relays in the under hood fuse panel and relays below the steering dash a bank of 5 and I’ve tried those relays already. My 15a fuse is okay I’ve switched it out also with a new one still nothing. Now I’m really wandering about my PCM

#21 ·
Ugh. The 07 is more complicated now that I looked at the manual plplpl linked to. If fuse 8 (page 4-17) is good then the only other thing on the power side are the relays. If those are good that would mean that the PCM is not energizing the relay. That does not mean it is the PCM is bad but more than likely something is telling the PCM it should not energize the ignition. I would focus on the relays first.

From looking at the service manual and diagram on hondapartsscheap I wonder if the relays are on the passenger side cabin in the kick panel or up in the corner by the wheelwell. But that is just a guess. Like this:
Advice on Accessing the Main Relay in 2005 Pilot

#22 ·
Where huntertn suggested is the next place I would look for the relay. Sometimes these diagrams make for a good treasure hunt.

#25 ·
Still cranking strong but no start? Maybe revisit the immobilizer issue? Are your keys the original factory keys?

Did you do anything between when it was running OK and when this problem started?

#29 ·
That's got to be it... somehow...

At some point in that chart should be: Hang your head as you take it to a mechanic. :p

#27 ·
In the beginning there was nothing. On the first day Snap On created the combustion engine and Snap On said it was good. On the second day Snap On created the transmission and said it was good. On the third day Snap On created the differential to provide use for the engine and transmission and said it was good. On the forth day Snap On created the tires and wheels and said it was good. On the 5th day Snap On created the steering wheel and said it was good. On the 6th day Snap On created the car body for protection of all of the other components and said it was good.
On the 7th day Snap On turned the key and nothing happened so Snap On created the Mechanic so he cold have a day of rests and said it was good.

It's been 7 days, perhaps, just perhaps it might be time to contact a mechanic.

#28 ·
In the beginning there was nothing. On the first day Snap On created the combustion engine and Snap On said it was good. On the second day Snap On created the transmission and said it was good. On the third day Snap On created the differential to provide use for the engine and transmission and said it was good. On the forth day Snap On created the tires and wheels and said it was good. On the 5th day Snap On created the steering wheel and said it was good. On the 6th day Snap On created the car body for protection of all of the other components and said it was good.
On the 7th day Snap On turned the key and nothing happened so Snap On created the Mechanic so he cold have a day of rests and said it was good.

It's been 7 days, perhaps, just perhaps it might be time to contact a mechanic.
No way! He's hot on the trail.

Reactions: Daltongang
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.