Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Pilot with only 85K that just started making a chirping noise coming from the area around the serpentine belt. I should say that 2 weeks ago, I replaced the timing belt, timing belt tensioner, timing belt idler, water pump, serpentine tensioner, and serpentine belt. The install went fairly straight forward and I have driven about 100 miles since then. This started just a few days ago when you start the Pilot cold it is quiet, but when you shift into reverse or drive the chirping starts. It will go away if you rev it up a little, when you drive off and it warms up, or put it in park/neutral. I have a mechanics stethoscope that I put on the power steering, and alternator (2 years old) and could not hear the noise. On the serpentine tensioner, i could hear it but only slightly. The fluid is at the appropriate le2007 Pilot Chirpingvel in both power steering and transmission. I'm at a loss since it seems to go away when out of gear (park/neutral), and doesn't change if you crank the wheel. I am half tempted to put the old serpentine tensioner back on and see if that fixes it.

I tried to attached the video here but it wouldn't allow it so I provided the below link to the video I was able to take. I hope the link is allowed. If anyone has any thoughts, advice, or has had a similar occurrence that would be great! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
check the tension on the serpentine belt components something isn't right

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies! I ended up putting in the old serpentine tensioner to see if that made a difference and it fixed everything. I just got a bad part. Thanful it wasn't one of the timing belt parts!

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Thanks for your replies! I ended up putting in the old serpentine tensioner to see if that made a difference and it fixed everything. I just got a bad part. Thanful it wasn't one of the timing belt parts!
Do you know what brand your new part was so we can avoid it? Please, Thanks.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
Do you know what brand your new part was so we can avoid it? Please, Thanks.
Yes, help others avoid the fate in your cautionary tale.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The serpentine tensioner was part of a gates kit I purchased w/ the idler and belt. It was the spring loaded tensioner for the AWD model. After some discussion, Rock Auto agreed to let me return the part. Right now the old Honda part is doing fine so I'm a little reluctant to change it out again.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
The serpentine tensioner was part of a gates kit I purchased w/ the idler and belt. It was the spring loaded tensioner for the AWD model. After some discussion, Rock Auto agreed to let me return the part. Right now the old Honda part is doing fine so I'm a little reluctant to change it out again.
Thanks for that info. Note to self.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts