Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a high pitched rattling/gurgling noise for the past 4 months from the passenger side around the glove box area.

Today, outside temp is 84 and the A/C is only blowing warm air.

I did have the refrigerant replaced last month...the gurgling went away for a few days then returned.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Betting you have a leak.

Gurgling is often low refrigerant, and was fixed with a fill.

Have them put in dye to find the leak the next time it goes low.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the Pilot in to the Honda dealer today. They drained and refilled the refridgerant. They performed a leak test with dye but were unable to find any leaks.

My rattling noise has gone away...for now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After 1 week my gurgling noise is back. The A/C is no longer blowing cold. Any idea how much to replace the condenser?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Why would you want to replace an expensive part without strong evidence that it has a leak?
Did they check the lower hose that goes to the 2nd row AC? That is a very weak aluminium pipe which breaks often. They would need to hoist the truck and go under it with a light, that's all. Some inept mechanics skip that part and only check under the hood.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the heads up. The Pilot is going back in to the dealer next week for a recheck. I will advise them to check the lower hose. They did perform a dye test but were unable to find a leak.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts
Speaking of cheap and easy things to eliminate first, gently stick a long screwdriver up your dangling AC drainage hose in front near the passenger side wheel, and then do the same with the AC drain nipple below the center console. Really, the five minutes it takes and no cost procedure will at least eliminate that possibility, if nothing else.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I am having exact same problem now.
The first shop did not find any leaks, refilled the system and then I bought the Pilot w/o knowing there was a problem. Then I found the 1st shop's sticker on the AC hose.
After a month the system was empty and my mechanic found 3 leaks on the lower hose - the one in the PLPLPL's 1st picture above. We thought that was it and for 2 months everything was fine, but now the system is empty again. Will have to go back to my mechanic and tell him that not all leaks were found.

·
Registered
27 Posts

My 07 is blowing hot air as well. Just bought it a month ago and it was working. A couple days ago, it was recharged and it's leaked out again. It looks like this hose is the problem. Is this a common failure? I'm pretty sure this is the problem but can't tell for sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks like it's leaking where the rubber hose is crimped at the top left of picture. That's obviously not my hose but just a picture I pulled off the internet for reference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Pilot went back into the shop today. They said that the problem was the bottom hose which needs to be replaced. I will report back once the work is completed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The picture I posted is the lower hose or discharge hose. Most likely the same part that you need. It was $69 from autozone and fairly straight forward to replace but you need a vacuum pump and refrigerant. to complete job. If you could schedule it, you could replace the part and take it to the shop right away for them to vac and charge

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
In many cases the bottom hoses can be repaired by soldering a patch of Aluminium foil with Aluminium Fluoride flux, or TIG welded if you have a welder friend. You might want to ask the shop to let you keep the hose.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Before changing out hoses check if the rear air (from back of center console) is cold. My front vents blow warm some of the time but the rear a/c is always cold, so I don't think it is a freon issue, probably a blend door issue or something in the dash.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well to update everyone...the problem did indeed turn out to be a leak in the lower hose. This was replaced and I now have very cold A/C and no more gurgling noises.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The minor leak I wrote about earlier turned out to be from the low pressure side right between the charging port and firewall, where the hose is held to the body with a bracket. Right behind the cruise control unit (or at least I think that is it).

I was quoted CDN$250 for the repair (evacuate, replace, part plus 2x O rings, no recharge). And I am not going to fix that, as filling it up with Duracool twice a year would take 10 years to reach that quote.

·
Registered
20 Posts
'07 Pilot blowing warm air now

Why would you want to replace an expensive part without strong evidence that it has a leak?
Did they check the lower hose that goes to the 2nd row AC? That is a very weak aluminium pipe which breaks often. They would need to hoist the truck and go under it with a light, that's all. Some inept mechanics skip that part and only check under the hood.
I guess I did not realize my '07 Pilot has rear A/C as a separate unit. I just thought it was somehow ducted through the floor with a second blower on it. My '07 Pilot blows warm air after slowly getting weaker and weaker over the last year. The Honda dealer put some dye in the system and diagnosed a discharge hose leak (said you could stand there and see where it leaks, I looked and saw nothing - maybe I need a UV light to see it?) and wants $700 to replace a $70 hose. I wonder if the Honda dealer checked under the car or just stopped when they saw the dye coming out the discharge hose under the hood? Other shops quoted $450 to do the work without diagnosis, based on what the stealership told me.

How hard is the discharge hose on an '07 Pilot to change? I'm pretty mechanically able but the hose looks like it twists and turns all over the place under there. How much is average price for a complete system charge if I change the hose myself and how would I check the lower hoses afterwards or before? One shop told me the car holds 1.6lbs of refrigerant. It would be awesome to do it myself as much as possible and save several hundred dollars as money is tight right now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts