Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recently purchased 2007 Pilot has a serious mold problem in the A/C. I am deathly allergic to mold so this is a health hazard for me. It got worse after I had the A/C compressor replaced. ( After the first week I had to replace the alternator and battery and then the A/C died) I also had the cabin air filter replaced and sprayed with "Frigi Fresh" sanitizer. That helped for about 1 hour and it is back to A/C mold and when just the fan is on it smells like urine. I now think this is the reason the former owner sold the vehicle! Please help.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,184 Posts
Check out Klima Cleaner. I used that on my Tacoma's evaporator core, when it had a really musty smell, and that solved it. Before I applied it, I removed the front blower motor/fan assembly to gain better access to the evaporator core.

Also make sure when you run the AC that both evaporator drain ports (one for front evaporator; other for rear evaporator core) are not clogged. After running the AC for a while you should see two water puddles under your vehicle after it's been parked for a while. If you don't see the puddles, then investigate for a clog.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
My recently purchased 2007 Pilot has a serious mold problem in the A/C. I am deathly allergic to mold so this is a health hazard for me. It got worse after I had the A/C compressor replaced. ( After the first week I had to replace the alternator and battery and then the A/C died) I also had the cabin air filter replaced and sprayed with "Frigi Fresh" sanitizer. That helped for about 1 hour and it is back to A/C mold and when just the fan is on it smells like urine.
Have you made sure that there isn't a dead critter somewhere in the fresh air ventilation system?

Next thing to try is to get a can of Lysol spray whose scent really appeals to you.
Lysol Disinfectant Spray Products | Lysol®
I use lemon, but it's entirely up to you.
Set the HVAC system to the outside air mode and the fan on high.
Open the hood and spray the Lysol at the fresh air intake at the base of the windshield.
Cycle the air distribution through the various settings - defroster, center and floor vents.
Use up the entire can of Lysol.
Let the vehicle sit unused overnight before running the HVAC system again.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Also make sure when you run the AC that both evaporator drain ports (one for front evaporator; other for rear evaporator core) are not clogged. After running the AC for a while you should see two water puddles under your vehicle after it's been parked for a while. If you don't see the puddles, then investigate for a clog.
Drain your dangling hose and nipple.Click for pics! --> 2006 Pilot Loud noise when Braking

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just did this to my 03'. See post #25 here for how I did it (What did you do today to your 2003-2008 Pilot?). I used a clean toilet bowl brush to clean where the cabin filter goes. A vacuum would work too if you have an attachment that will fit. Once you clean the filter area spray it down with some Ultrashield.

Parts:

-New cabin air filter
-Ultrashield All-Weather Automotive Air Conditioner (HVAC) Odor Treatment (Products)
-2 orders of this from amazon of this:(note product that gets delivered is the same brand but, has new label and hose). I only used the evaporator cleaner. You don't have to get this brand, it's just what I went with.

-Electrical tape: see my post link as to why.

-Optional:
Meguiar's whole car re-freshener

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just did this to my 03'. See post #25 here for how I did it (What did you do today to your 2003-2008 Pilot?). I used a clean toilet bowl brush to clean where the cabin filter goes. A vacuum would work too if you have an attachment that will fit. Once you clean the filter area spray it down with some Ultrashield.

Parts:

-New cabin air filter
-Ultrashield All-Weather Automotive Air Conditioner (HVAC) Odor Treatment (Products)
-2 orders of this from amazon of this:(note product that gets delivered is the same brand but, has new label and hose). I only used the evaporator cleaner. You don't have to get this brand, it's just what I went with.

-Optional:
Also, just follow the instructions that are on the cans of the Ultrashield and evaporator cleaner.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Parts:

-New cabin air filter

-Optional:
This process may not physically remove all the mold but, it will definitely kill all of it.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Don't know why a frown face was added to my post .....???
Because you didn't skip a space between the colon and the open parenthesis: (like this).

This forum frowns on punctuation errors. :p

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
If you have mold in the heating/ac system I am going to advise you of a different method. Unless you totally flood the system with cleaners, and even then it may not get everywhere, you are unlikely to kill all of the mold. The best way is to either rent or buy an ozone generator and use it. They can be had for under $100.

Park the vehicle outside. Roll up all the doors and windows. Put it in the vehicle, and run a flat extension cord to it id need be. Set the generator for 4 to 6 hours, turn it on, shut the door and walk away.

Once the time has passed unplug the generator, carefully and quickly open the doors, do not breath in the ozone and let it sit open for 30 minutes or so. The ozone will penetrate every bit of the vehicle killing any mold spores in it. Then use the chemicals if you like to flush it out as best you can and install a new cabin filter.

Mold is not something to take lightly, allergies or not.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Also, just as an aside...

When I lived in the Caribbean, the Honda CRV was a very popular model and I drove a 2000 CRV for about 3 years. The only real problem with these cars in the tropics was they could develop clogged drainage ports around the windows, which lead to rainwater invading the cabin, causing soaked floor mats in the front passenger side compartment. With the 80 degree daytime temps, this would quickly lead to mold under the carpet. Unclogging the drainage port was pretty simple and some bleach took care of the mold...

I’m saying this because although your pretty sure the issue is actually in the AC/duct system, you could have mold somewhere inside the cabin and when you use the AC blower it’s merely circulating the musty air upward from the floor. Even if you have the air directed thru the upper vents, some air will travel along the floor.

I’m not aware of anyone having these types of issues with a Pilot, but given your allergies you may want to inspect/pull the front carpets (which is pretty simple) just to confirm you don’t have mold inside. From my understanding, any leak that lets water into the cabin typically pools in the passenger side for most Hondas, regardless of year and/or model.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts