Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I just purchased a 2007 Honda Pilot, 4wd, ex-l with 160,000 miles. Within 2 wks, the engin light came on. P0420. Says catalytic converter. Bank 1. I called Auto Zone. They have a universal one for $85, which will need to be welded on. I called the auto shop we usually take our cars too and their total cost for repair is almost $800 to replace c.c. They broke it down for me. $250 for labor (2 1/2 hrs) and almost $500 for the part. Which is the type that is not welded on but bolted on. I'm hoping that I can get some suggestions on whether I need to spend the extra money on the non-universal c.c. If I choose the universal one, I think I can get the job done for under $500. Any an all suggestions would be appreciated. The cc is the one in the front, I am told. THANK YOU! Oh, my auto shop suggested I replace all 3 cc for a total of $2,700 or so. Is that really necessary? I have read about replacing the sensor(s) first to see if the engine light goes off. But if it isn't the sensor(s), that just adds more to the repair bill. If the car is up on a hoist, is there a way to tell if the sensors are bad? I have another shop that lets you bring in your own parts, which is probably the way I will go. Will it damage other parts on the car if I take a few weeks to get the job done? Thank you again! Just trying to do right by my new-used Pilot. (P.s. No codes showed up besides the one I stated.). I have considered putting a good fuel injector into the gas tank and use high octane gas for a few weeks but that probably won't change anything, right?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem. Code, check engine light. I have been adding cat cleaner at $26.00 a pop. I hate seeing check.engine lights in my truck. Bought used. Runs great. Should I replace the converter? 2008

·
Registered
37 Posts
There’s two O2 sensors. I’d personally start with testing those before anything. P0420 just tells you there’s a discrepancy between the two o2 sensors. Essentially the o2 sensors are looking at the efficiency of the catalytic converter. This code can be a few things like faulty o2 sensor(s), exhaust leak, bad catalytic converter, or bad wiring to name a few things.

I’d check for exhaust leaks first. If you have a decent scan tool I’d look at the O2 voltages, and fuel trims and how they respond as well. This can give you an idea on what might be wrong. Voltage readings are usually 0-1V. 1V being rich and 0 being lean.

Not sure where you’re located, but if you’re in California, take note that your catalytic converter must be CARB approved to pass smog visual inspection. EPA/Fed carbs will not pass visual. CARB cats are usually stamped with the EO number.

Lastly, if you’re buying o2 sensors, look at rock auto or other online sites…$85 is very overpriced for an aftermarket one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts