Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lubricating driver door lock, where key can be inserted to manually unlock the car.

Unfortunately plastic extension straw got stuck and was broken inside the door lock, now when I try to insert the key, it's not going all the way into the lock.

Is there a trick or a way to fix it or any other lock on the car to manually unlock in case key fob or battery is dead?

I know, totally an odd question, but have learned my lesson to not push it too much and I appreciate the help.

Thank you.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
Similar thing happened to me just this past weekend. Thought I was all smart and preemptive by spraying WD-40 Silicone Lubricant in the window tracks before the freezing winter temperatures hit, then the little straw just popped off and fell in.

1. Rant until you're red in the face at those
    little straws.
  2. Once you've gotten that out of your system, preferably alone in the garage and out of earshot of children and small animals, go ask your wife to borrow her eyebrow tweezers. Whether you decide to tell her what for depends on the stability of your relationship. :)

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,182 Posts
I haven’t tried this, but perhaps you can blast some compressed air into the lock cylinder. You might get lucky and generate enough turbulence in there to get it out of there. Just wear eye protection in case it comes flying out at you.

You might also try small tipped tweezers. Or hook up a larger diameter straw to your vacuum cleaner and possibly suck it out.

After you get it out consider lubing the key then sliding it into the cylinder. Less chance of something breaking off and getting stuck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, thanks for the help - will try the option of using a vacuum, as well as tweezers.

Is there any other lock which can be manually opened in case of emergency? Not seeing anything besides driver side door.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Is there any other lock which can be manually opened in case of emergency? Not seeing anything besides driver side door.
Nope, but the bean counters shaved a few bucks off production costs and passed the savings along to you.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Think have made a little bit of progress, used a sharp but sturdy wire inside the lock(similar to a paper clip), now at least key is going farther inside the lock.

Although key isn't moving and can't lock or unlock it, does it mean one of the wafer is stuck or plastic piece has been just pushed down?

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
I haven’t tried this, but perhaps you can blast some compressed air into the lock cylinder. You might get lucky and generate enough turbulence in there to get it out of there. Just wear eye protection in case it comes flying out at you.

You might also try small tipped tweezers. Or hook up a larger diameter straw to your vacuum cleaner and possibly suck it out.
Have you tried these suggestions yet?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Think have made a little bit of progress, used a sharp but sturdy wire inside the lock(similar to a paper clip), now at least key is going farther inside the lock.

Although key isn't moving and can't lock or unlock it, does it mean one of the wafer is stuck or plastic piece has been just pushed down?
I’m pretty sure you’ll need to get the straw piece out of the lock cylinder if you want the key to work in it. The further you push the piece in the more difficult it will be to remove . . . like ear wax and a q-tip.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m pretty sure you’ll need to get the straw piece out of the lock cylinder if you want the key to work in it. The further you push the piece in the more difficult it will be to remove . . . like ear wax and a q-tip.
Yes, worst case is will remove the cylinder and see if I have any luck. Thank you for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts