Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our '07 EXL had the battery light coming on and off for a couple weeks. Yesterday it started hesitating on the highway so my wife turned around and came back home, it ran fine on the way back. I replaced the battery and it still ran fine. But battery light still comes on sometimes.

This morning i drove it to work to test it out. the battery light was still on and then when I got on the highway and sped up the headlights suddenly brightened up and the batt light went off at the same time.

I'm assuming this could be the alternator or battery cables? Although the cable connections look pretty good. also, the only place I could get a battery was Walmart yesterday and it was the cheap one they had in stock so I don't know if that could cause problems also.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Walmart batteries are usually pretty good. As you suspect, think alternator but check the cables, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Walmart batteries are usually pretty good. As you suspect, think alternator but check the cables, too.
Ok. Thanks. I just wanted to double check because it looks like a 3-4 hour job from watching some youtube videos.

I've replaced plenty of alternators on my old GM cars (67 Impala & '02 Silverado) and they are very easy. But this one looks tough.

Is the Denso for about $110 a good replacement? Or would a $150 Bosch be a better choice?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I think you'd be good with either, but I'd personally favor the Denso. Let us know how it goes. And maybe post some pictures. Do check all your cables and connections while you're in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you'd be good with either, but I'd personally favor the Denso. Let us know how it goes. And maybe post some pictures. Do check all your cables and connections while you're in there.
Yes I'll post after I complete it. I did just replace the belt and PS pump orings so I've been in there a little bit already.

Ther old Pilot is starting to need a lot of stuff like this lately! Rear wheel bearing and AC condenser just went out. also PS pump orings started leaking a little, recently replaced another power window regulator. Been a good car tho, no major engine or tranny problems.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
You can voltage test the alternator output before replacing it. If you have a multimeter it’s a 5 minute test.
Also check the condition of the positive and negative cables for secure connections and lack of corrosion.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I had good luck with Denso remanufactured alternator from Amazon. It already lasted longer than the original.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I had good luck with Denso remanufactured alternator from Amazon. It already lasted longer than the original.
X2 I also replaced mine after the 4th time with a denso ..the others came from Advanced auto, autozone..all doa after 2 months

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
X2 I also replaced mine after the 4th time with a denso ..the others came from Advanced auto, autozone..all doa after 2 months
Thanks for the advice! I have the denso ordered from RA. It is a reman but seemed to be the best option. The new options were not that great.

I did manage to catch it with the batt light on and tested the output. It was sitting at 12.1 volts. So confirmed that the alternator is bad. as long as its not some other intermittent problem with the wiring, which I doubt. Now just to find time to replace it before it leaves my wife stranded!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I have the denso ordered from RA. It is a reman but seemed to be the best option. The new options were not that great.

I did manage to catch it with the batt light on and tested the output. It was sitting at 12.1 volts. So confirmed that the alternator is bad. as long as its not some other intermittent problem with the wiring, which I doubt. Now just to find time to replace it before it leaves my wife stranded!
Awesome job ..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts