Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock Honda bolt for my oil pan is dissimilar to the one currently in place. I'm wondering if the original owner overtightened the original bolt, stripping the threads from the bolt-hole. A repair may have used a threaded insert, tapped in and used to fit a smaller bolt. Does this sound like it could be true? My current hex-head was ruined because it was in too tight: it was chewed up badly in getting it to loosen. So, I went to replace it by ordering the stock part, and the stock part has a much coarser thread and is a longer bolt. That is, they are obviousy different. I guess I'm faced with continuing to use the chewed-up bolt. Comment?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Short of replacing the oil pan you are stuck. Another option might be to order a machine shop make you an aluminum bushing to match the OEM bolt or to go to the scrap yard and buy an oil pan and cut out the 1x1" section with the bushing. Then you could solder the bushing into the existing oil pan. It would be a very messy endeavour due to the smoke from the leftover oil in the pan.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,947 Posts
If you decide to use the existing bolt you could have a welder weld on another hex head to the stripped one.

If the Pilot is not your daily driver, the next time you change the oil pull the old bolt out and take it to the dealer or auto parts store to see if you can find one with the same thread pattern.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
The oil pan is aluminum. No need to weld - solder with Brenzomatic AL-3 rods is ways cheaper and an easy DIY.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The stock Honda bolt for my oil pan is dissimilar to the one currently in place. I'm wondering if the original owner overtightened the original bolt, stripping the threads from the bolt-hole. A repair may have used a threaded insert, tapped in and used to fit a smaller bolt. Does this sound like it could be true? My current hex-head was ruined because it was in too tight: it was chewed up badly in getting it to loosen. So, I went to replace it by ordering the stock part, and the stock part has a much coarser thread and is a longer bolt. That is, they are obviousy different. I guess I'm faced with continuing to use the chewed-up bolt. Comment?
Bring the existing bolt to a hardware supplier like Fastenal and have them match it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts