Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started up my pilot today, no issues last time I drove it and had several warning lights...
Yellow VSR light
Yellow triangle with exclamation point in it
ABS light
I suspect rodents cause I’ve had problems before caused by them, but didn’t see any nests this time.
Is it safe to drive? What do I check first?
Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
I wouldn't say it's safe to drive. Our vehicles rely on the electronics to operate. Not to mention the chance of an electrical fire.
I'd disconect the battery.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,188 Posts
Get the codes read, as that will point you towards what to investigate. Have you looked for droppings in the middle of the engine block. . . that V is a place they like to visit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get the codes read, as that will point you towards what to investigate. Have you looked for droppings in the middle of the engine block. . . that V is a place they like to visit.
Ok was able to borrow a friends code reader, auto parts store would not read because of Covid.
Here are my codes
17-1 left rear wheel speed sensor open or short.
61-1 Battery voltage malfunction

I know my battery goes dead if not driven for four or five days

how do I check speed sensor or replace? What’s it look like located, etc?
Thanks in advance
Kevin

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I’d start by looking for electrical connectors at the left rear wheel. Make sure the connector and associated wiring is intact. Remove the connector and verify the contacts are not corroded. Clean them with electrical contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol if needed.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
4,188 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found problem, speed sensor wires going into connector broken right at connector (1/16” before). Underneath middle of car, not at wheel end.
Same thing happened with my O2 sensor connector at front of car. I honestly don’t know if it’s mice or they just break there a lot? One was broken the other barely hanging on. I just barely spotted it with my bad eye site lol. It’s almost identical looking damage and location relative to connector. I wonder if other people are having this problem and replacing a lot of perfectly good parts.
If I can get enough slack to work on it I’m going to try and take connector apart and repin and splice wire.
I was able to do that with the O2 wire connector. So wish me luck.
Hopefully tomorrow if I can make time.
Thanks again.
Kevin

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Good luck with the fix. If you can, take some photos and post them so others will have an idea of how to fix it. I don’t recall many folks reporting this issue at this location, but Honda did use soy based wire insulation (not sure what year that ended) which the rodents tend to feast on.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is pic, zoom in see damage on white wire right next to where it goes into connector. Red wire is directly beneath and it’s broken clear off. Don’t you think if it was rodent he would have chewed at midpoint between connector and where jacket starts wrapping around wire. He’d have to try hard to chew this close to connector. It was EXACTLY like this on front O2 sensor connector. Almost like a manufacturing thing. IDK, just glad I spotted it.
Kevin

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Yeah, that doesn’t look like a rodent chomped on it. It’s too clean of a break and no adjacent teeth mark damage. The rodent who chewed my knock sensor wire chewed quite a bit of its surrounding wire loom as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts