Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello My pilot family.
I hope this finds you in the best of your health & spirits.
So this one is a weird one and dont know whats going on.

6 months ago i got my brake pads changes and after that it started making grinding noises intermittently with no lights on dash board. we thought it was rubbing against something but it wasnt.

we still went ahead and changes the rotors and grinding noise came back.

a few weeks later i had a check engine light( multiple misfires its a norm and it keeps coming and going everyday probably O2 sensor im not worried abt it) and mechanic cleared the codes and suddenly i ended up with VSA Light and Triangle caution light. with sensor logic something something and 84-1 Code

we thought it was ABS sensors( with no lights on dashboard) and we changed those but to no avail.

so currently i have VSA , Triangle caution and intermittently grinding brakes on my 2007 honda pilot with 176,000 miles.

we tried clearing it( youtube video where they short the connector with pins) to reset the light that didnt work either

has anyone faced this before? any ideas?pointers? tips tricks?plz help my pilot live longer. i love it.its my baby

Thanks a lot.
sincerely
-KK

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the shorting connector pins process ( which did not help me) was this --->

1) Jump pins 4 and 9. (should already be done if you initially checked for Code 84)
2) Press and hold the brake pedal and switch on the ignition.
3) Wait for the ABS light to turn off and then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
4) Wait for the ABS light to turn on, then press and hold the brake pedal again.
5) ABS light should turn off, then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
6) Wait for two flashes of ABS light. If it flashes it means that errors are erased.

Check the errors (with the pins jumped) - just turn the ignition on, if ABS light does not flash, no errors are in memory.

Now the main part.

TCS neutral position setting

Do not touch the brake pedal anymore.

1) Jump pin 9 to 4 (should already be done if you just erased your codes)
2) Turn the ignition on, after ABS light turns off, quickly press the "VSA off" button.
3) After ABS light turns on again, quickly press the "VSA off" button.
4) Now shoud be a lot of different blinks and fashes and all lights ABS, VSA and triangle should turn

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
89 Posts
Hello My pilot family.

6 months ago i got my brake pads changes and after that it started making grinding noises intermittently with no lights on dash board. we thought it was rubbing against something but it wasnt.

a few weeks later i had a check engine light( multiple misfires its a norm and it keeps coming and going everyday probably O2 sensor im not worried abt it) and mechanic cleared the codes and suddenly i ended up with VSA Light and Triangle caution light. with sensor logic something something and 84-1 Code

we thought it was ABS sensors( with no lights on dashboard) and we changed those but to no avail.

so currently i have VSA , Triangle caution and intermittently grinding brakes on my 2007 honda pilot with 176,000 miles.

we tried clearing it( youtube video where they short the connector with pins) to reset the light that didnt work either

has anyone faced this before? any ideas?pointers? tips tricks?plz help my pilot live longer. i love it.its my baby

Thanks a lot.
sincerely
-KK
I had a similar problem with breaks locking up with grinding noise at first I thought bad calipers checked and changed break line collapsed on inside so I changed all lines rotors pads abs module break booster master cylinder check valve finally I even took the car to the dealership and they wanted to throw parts at it because it locked up on them well after exhaustion of research on recalls which American Honda did not do it turns on bad yaw rate sensor I got it out tested it with a voltage meter it was only producing 2 volts it supposed to be 5-7 volts Honda wanted 900$ for sensor eBay 50$ installed it no more lock up or grinding I hope this can put you on the right track

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
89 Posts
Hello My pilot family.

Thanks a lot.
sincerely
-KK

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you perdo for your response but in my case my steering wheel or my brakes are not locking up.
the suv drives just fine. just the brakes grind intermittently and i have vsa and triangle light on.

also FYI it is not a AWD OR 4X4.its a plain old front wheel drive.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there was no light after brake pad and brake rotor change.

the VSA+Triangle showed up after the CHK engine light codes were cleared by my mechanic.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
89 Posts
thank you perdo for your response but in my case my steering wheel or my brakes are not locking up.
the suv drives just fine. just the brakes grind intermittently and i have vsa and triangle light on.

also FYI it is not a AWD OR 4X4.its a plain old front wheel drive.
Ok even the front wheel drive only had a yaw sensor but you should be able to jump the pins from the OBD connector you tube has a couple of good videos on that but if it keeps coming back on then your going to have to scan the ABS i wish you luck brother

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes brother thank you.
i scanned the ABS and i dont see ABS codes. i still changed 2 ABS Sensors in the front and shorted the OBD2.
im still seeing VSA+TRIANGLE.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In YT video, it seems they short pin 9 before carrying out your steps.
yes we did that sir.
any ideas?
im thinking maybe the grinding brakes are related to a bad ABS actuator but that should cause ABS light not the VSA+TRIANGLE with 84-1

·
Registered
139 Posts
the shorting connector pins process ( which did not help me) was this --->
2) Turn the ignition on, after ABS light turns off, quickly press the "VSA off" button.
4) Now shoud be a lot of different blinks and fashes and all lights ABS, VSA and triangle should turn
You wrote above jumping pin 4 and pin 9. YT video, the person jumps pin 9 to chassis ground when clearing VSA light.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
326 Posts
the pin jump worked for me. I took the connector out of its holder, to make sure I got the pins right. I have read of the wrong pins getting jumped and causing the light to stay on.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
im still seeing VSA+TRIANGLE.
Materials:
-Paper clip or jumper wire.
-Honda service manual (for more specific info about code)

Basically, with car off and keys out, stick wire/paper clip into pins 4 and 9. Be careful to get those pins correct to avoid blowing a fuse, as you may be looking at them from upside down.

Then, found this, which should also help.

scottmachovec said:
Look on page 15-10 of the service manual for the codes and their meaning. Page 15-7, step 5 shows how to count them. You can get to the service manual at:
https://archive.org/download/0608HondaPilotSM/06-08 Honda Pilot SM.pdf

So using the pin method, it's...

I fixed the problem today after searching around on the Honda-Tech forums about an Accord with a similar issue. I copied and pasted the resolution below, but it doesn't explain using a paper clip to jump the 4 and 9 pins on the obdII connector. You need to check the standard numbering scheme and orientation of your OBD connector. I had it flip flopped the first time. Once you have the paper clip jumping the 4 and 9 pins turn on the key and watch the ABS light Mine blinked 8 times and then 4 times...Code 84 TCS Neutral position needed reset.

Then do this

RESOLUTION:

But few days ago I have fixed the problem myself without Dealer Scanner!
First of all you need to clear ABS errors (that is the main problem why i have failed earlier).

1) Jump pins 4 and 9. (should already be done if you initially checked for Code 84)
2) Press and hold the brake pedal and switch on the ignition.
3) Wait for the ABS light to turn off and then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
4) Wait for the ABS light to turn on, then press and hold the brake pedal again.
5) ABS light should turn off, then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
6) Wait for two flashes of ABS light. If it flashes it means that errors are erased.

Check the errors (with the pins jumped) - just turn the ignition on, if ABS light does not flash, no errors are in memory.

Now the main part.

TCS neutral position setting

Do not touch the brake pedal anymore.

4) Now shoud be a lot of different blinks and fashes and all lights ABS, VSA and triangle should turn off. The problem's solved.
5) Open the beer bottle!

And there's also a method using a Foxwell NT630 Plus, which I can attest from recent personal experience does work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i just did all that and VSA+TRIANGLE never turns off ...ABS keeps blinking in this step---4) Now should be a lot of different blinks and flashes and all lights ABS, VSA and triangle should turn off. The problem's solved.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
Just checking, but did you do the first part, too? Even if you don't have an ABS light problem, you have to go through all the steps exactly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts