Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My passenger rear breaks started doing g this horrible grinding noise when I apply the breaks. I can't get it into the shop until next week. My question is:
Will I do more damage to the vehicle if I still drive but baby when I apply the breaks?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much should it cost to replace pads, rotors and 1 new caliper at a repair shop? I got a estimate without the caliper and they said $400!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Grinding could mean several things. The bad one is when the pad is too low and the piston comes too far out of the caliper. Sometimes you'll need a new caliper
How could I know if the pads are too low? Should I not drive it or can I drive short distance and really baby it when breaking?

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
348 Posts
Could be the wear sensor scraping. They are warning you that your pads are low, and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
My passenger rear breaks started doing g this horrible grinding noise when I apply the breaks. I can't get it into the shop until next week. My question is:
Will I do more damage to the vehicle if I still drive but baby when I apply the breaks?
The odds are the “horrible grinding noise” are worn rear pads that are making contact with the rotors. Thus the damage may have already occurred which may result in reduced braking ability. When was the last rear brake service or inspection?

·
Registered
405 Posts
400 for new pads and rotors seems a little high. If they're resurfacing the rotors then it's high. Add a couple hundred for the caliper. Call around for a better quote

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,613 Posts
Do some comparison shopping, yes, but don't neglect taking care of your brakes ASAP. They're the things that are constantly intervening to prevent you from crashing into the thing in front of you.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
101 Posts
You're delaying the inevitable repair. Just get it done. And Im not sure how one would "baby" the brakes.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,613 Posts
Them's the brakes. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
pads and rotors about $400/axle these days. likely +250 for each caliper.

running over a kid or slamming into another car is going to be a bit more expensive - tough to estimate

·
Registered
716 Posts
If it is just the 'rear passenger', it means other three are not quite there yet - but likely close. If it is already making the 'grinding noise', it is likely already damaging the rotor - I personally would not resurface the rotors, I would replace and ASAP. I highly doubt you would need a new caliper though. But definitely need to check that caliper pins are properly greased and get all the boots inspected.

Is $400 quote for how many wheels? One? Two? I guess $400 for both rears is OK with labor. My last brake job was $340 for a 4-wheel Power Stop kit, installed by myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts