Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2wd Pilot Ex-L with DVD and wanted to know which oil pan do I order. There seems to be two types (with/with out variable timing) and the oil pans don’t differ. I’m assuming maybe the higher price one is the one with variable timing?

thanka

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
2wd will have VVT. I'm still showing the same part number.
11200-RDJ-A00
May I ask why you need a new oil pan?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very bad oil leak. The oil pan screw is stripped. And when they put it back in, it’s not all the way sealed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are the oil pans I was looking at. You can see in the notes it shows one doesn’t have variable timing but all of the others don’t state whether they are or aren’t.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
My Jeep has aftermarket skid plates for the motor>trans>t/c>fuel etc but the OP had to be unlucky to bust the oil pan in a Pilot on the road but that would be a better story.
My money's on a Jiffy Pep type place. You know, the kind with certificates on the wall you shouldn't look too closely at.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Yes.....it was Firestone changing my oil with the free tire rotation.
Thats unfortunate....some quick oil change centers have a rep to ruin new oil pans, strip retapped oil pan bolts and break fumoto valves... so be selective on who touches your drain plug.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
May as well, in your case. Are you going to start DIYing your oil changes?

And BTW, that's one of the few valid excuses for installing a Fumoto valve, all you other wusses out there. :p

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Would it be recommended to try the fumoto before having oil pan changed?!
Is there any threads left in the pan at all?
The concern is getting the valve screwed in leak free. I might try loctite or yellow teflon tape, if you think there is enough threads to secure it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I use to diy the oil, just had them start doing it once they were rotating the tires for free. Yea I guess it can’t hurt. Will get that ordered and try that first before the oil pan.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The fumoto recommended for the Pilot is 14mm. I know they tried to used a larger bolt which didn’t work so I’m wondering if maybe I should do the 16mm kit and rethread it to make sure it fits leak free instead of trying a 14mm with the chance of it not working and having to go up a size larger?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
The Fumoto 14mm thread is no different than any 14mm drain bolt. The hope and goal is to semi-permanently seal a reasonably snug but damaged 14mm thread back into the pan before resorting to retapping or changing pans. Is the original drain bolt currently installed and leaking? Who will be installing the Fumoto or retapping for a larger size?

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
If they tried a re-tap, and have installed a 16mm and it didn't seal, its likely that the re-tap was done crooked. At this point, I'm probably buying a new pan.

·
Registered
2007 EX-L
404 Posts
I just replaced a pan on my old Acura CL because he took it to one of those shops, who stripped out the threads. But he lives in the city, so can't DIY easily.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nail Grease is correct. If they did not re-tap it straight it will leak. Drain plugs do not seal on the threaded part but on the surface where the sealing washer goes. You might be able to get it to stop leaking by using a metal/rubber sealing washer.

I would probably buy a couple of different sizes of those metal/rubber washers and change the oil myself next time around. Then you can figure out what size you have or exactly what you are dealing with. Find out what the exact size of the threads are. Put it back together with the new style washer and if it does not leak, but the correct size Fumoto valve and install it on the next oil change with a new rubber washer and you should be good to go.

If it looks really jacked up you can plan on a new pan.

I don't know all the facts but I have to ask, why not press Firestone on the stripped pan? If they did it they should fix it. Or at the very least help with the cost. Just asking...

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
They also sell 1st oversize and 2nd over size drailn plugs for Pilots at places like AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc.

I've got a 1st over sized drainplug to be used on my 08 Pilot, when the one in there wont get snug anymore.

I really think part of it's a scam on the shops part. Oh, your drain plug stripped, we can get you a new pan for $$$$$.
What do you want to do?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts