Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, 2007 with approx 170k miles. I have some oil dripping from somewhere in the back of the engine midway up on the drivers side. Any idea of the possible culprit? It is a very difficult area to see and troubleshoot. I looked from the bottom and can see where oil has dripped, but not the source. Impossible to see from the top. See photo below for better understanding - looking at engine from drivers side - you can see some oily gook accumulating on the green connector (red arrow) so I think the leak is ahead of that up under that mess where they bent red arrow is pointing. Valve cover gasket? Head gasket? or is there some other oil producing exit hole in there somewhere?

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
FYI if you find this is the issue, I would replace all seals or it may not fix it. BTW Honda does not make the internal gasket and recommends you replace the whole assembly for $600+ LMAO

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! That's what I had found some other people having issues with. Based on the location of it and the area I am finding oil I am betting this is the culprit. I just have to figure out how to look in there. How hard is it to get to for replacement? It doesn't look easy to access.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
These gaskets from rock auto should fix your oil leak. Just beware that a full replacement of your VVT solenoid will be on the horizon if you do not have an engine code yet. Please double check part number and fitment for your vehicle. If the back one is leaking, chances are the front one is leaking also. Check for oil around your dipstick. If so, you will need two sets of these gaskets.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If the back one is leaking, chances are the front one is leaking also. Check for oil around your dipstick. If so, you will need two sets of these gaskets.
Is there another VVT solenoid assembly? Where is it located? Is it up near the handle for the dipstick? Does it use the same gaskets as the right rear?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Is there another VVT solenoid assembly? Where is it located? Is it up near the handle for the dipstick? Does it use the same gaskets as the right rear?
Where your dipstick is, does it look like this?

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
275 Posts
No, mine on the 08 FWD looks like this:

·
Registered
135 Posts
The other leak points to look at in that area besides the ones mentioned is is the rear camshaft cover. You can see it in that video with the two studs that mounted the evap purge valve. There is an o-ring that might be leaking, Honda 91301-p8a-a00. You should replace it if you can get at it while your in there.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
No, mine on the 08 FWD looks like this:

Ok. Then your other leak point could be above where your oil filter screws on. The part looks like this with a figure 8 gasket in it. This is at oil filter while the other is at the cylinder head. Passenger side.

Reactions: shurguywutt

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i bought the kit of amazon and changed it out. Anyone want to speak to the torque values on the bolts on that vtec assembly? I am nervous about getting them too tight.

FYI - you have to take VTEC assembly off the engine and then disassemble it to replace the orings and inner gasket.

I had to degrease the engine because of all the oil it was hard to tell if it was still leaking. Hopefully I am good.

·
Registered
602 Posts
i bought the kit of amazon and changed it out. Anyone want to speak to the torque values on the bolts on that vtec assembly? I am nervous about getting them too tight.

FYI - you have to take VTEC assembly off the engine and then disassemble it to replace the orings and inner gasket.

I had to degrease the engine because of all the oil it was hard to tell if it was still leaking. Hopefully I am good.
Almost every 10mm bolt head on the engine takes a spec of 8.9 ft-lbs (108 inch-lbs).

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think I need to replace solenoid seals, but also have to figure out where all this is coming from.

Ideas?
Also, rusted pulley healthy enough? Looks hurt.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Check for oil leaks above the oil filter. The housing that the oil filter screws onto contain the gaskets talked about in this thread.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check for oil leaks above the oil filter. The housing that the oil filter screws onto contain the gaskets talked about in this thread.
Yeah, looked dry, except for behind ty he assembly, a screw pretty oily back there, I hope that's all it is. I am going to replace both o-ring seals. The housing, and above it if I could. Not sure if it ain't the oil pump, not looking forward to finding out something like that.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Yeah, looked dry, except for behind ty he assembly, a screw pretty oily back there, I hope that's all it is. I am going to replace both o-ring seals. The housing, and above it if I could. Not sure if it ain't the oil pump, not looking forward to finding out something like that.
Keep us posted (y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts