Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if any Honda pilot people ever had this issue. My car was driving perfect then I turned into my driveway and my check engine light started flashing. Car sounded awful. After turning it off and checking things out one of my ignition coils was melted. My engine was super hot but showed no indication of overheating. Check fluids everything was fine thank God. Obviously now I have no spark even with new coil packs. I'm going to take it in just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience. Just hit 160000 well maintained car. Before anyone asks yes spark plugs and coils were changed they were only 6 months old. Otherwise alternator was the only thing replaced recently.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
338 Posts
Why were the coils replaced 6 months ago? Coils do not have a replacement interval, just replace once they go bad. And did you use OEM replacements?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes we did. We replaced it all because we were having a misfire issue. The mechanic had us replace them saying it would solve the problem.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,165 Posts
Might check with your mechanic where those parts came from. Unfortunately there are counterfeit parts out there.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,165 Posts
And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It sounds like the spark plug for that cylinder backed out causing the coil pack to melt. The problem is you may have caused serious damage to the head. Did anyone check the spark plug?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like the spark plug for that cylinder backed out causing the coil pack to melt. The problem is you may have caused serious damage to the head. Did anyone check the spark plug?
Spark plugs were fine. Only the one where the coil pack melted was shot.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
We haven't removed head or anything yet because it's still storming. At this point we just might take it in. Cylinder 6
Is the spark plug on #6 loose? Can you remove it and post a picture? Also remove #5 and post a picture for side-by-side comparison purposes.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Thanks for posting those pictures, while their blurry, nothing really looks that abnormal between them. As such I'm beginning to suspect your failure on that coil was induced from the electronic side of things (was it aftermarket or OEM replacement?), as it is stepping up low voltage to high, and if for some reason there is too much resistance through the circuit can cause heat issues. I'd say if you still have the old coils from 6 months ago, to slap one of them back on, and see if it starts "running like a top" again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for posting those pictures, while their blurry, nothing really looks that abnormal between them. As such I'm beginning to suspect your failure on that coil was induced from the electronic side of things (was it aftermarket or OEM?), as it is stepping up low voltage to high, and if for some reason there is too much resistance through the circuit can cause heat issues. I'd say if you still have the old coils from 6 months ago, to slap one of them back on, and see if it starts "running like a top" again.
Thanks. We figured electrical I'm just curious if it's possibly from the new alternator, but again speculation on my end. Never really had any issues until that changed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. We figured electrical I'm just curious if it's possibly from the new alternator, but again speculation on my end. Never really had any issues until that changed.
Definitely have to try the junkyard tomorrow before taking it in to give it a try your way. They are OEM

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
Another thing, since it recently came up for another member: After your coil packs were replaced, did you notice if your coil heat shield and the plastic housing that keep the coil wire off valve cover were still there?

Ignition coil showing damage

1 - 20 of 31 Posts