Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys so I usually park my Pilot on the grass in front of my house. I noticed a few days ago that a patch of grass turned yellow/burned from some sort of leak that I've been unable to locate under the car. My previous car did this a few times until I finally figured out that I had a Coolant leak.

So I immediately opened the Coolant Tank on my Pilot and found no Coolant in the tank but instead a thick Mayo-like residue at the bottom of the tank and on the hose that goes into the tank from the cap. I will post a picture shortly of what it looks like. I have no check engine lights on, nothing weird as far as diving goes, and no high engine temperatures. Any idea of what I'm dealing with?

Sent from my OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren Edition using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RIP motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I truly hope not. I've checked the engine Oil for Coolant and that residue and couldn't find anything, also checked the ATF and it's clean so no Strawberry Milkshake of Death there (at the moment). Gotta go deep in this one and see what's causing this. Should I do a full Coolant System drain/cleaning?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I truly hope not. I've checked the engine Oil for Coolant and that residue and couldn't find anything, also checked the ATF and it's clean so no Strawberry Milkshake of Death there (at the moment). Gotta go deep in this one and see what's causing this. Should I do a full Coolant System drain/cleaning?

It definitely wouldn’t hurt, you could check back in a month to see if it’s still clean and maybe it’s just a freak accident. I’m wondering if you’ve got two different types of coolant in there. After a quick google search I think this is the case. Do the flush and use OEM blue.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It definitely wouldn’t hurt, you could check back in a month to see if it’s still clean and maybe it’s just a freak accident. I’m wondering if you’ve got two different types of coolant in there. After a quick google search I think this is the case. Do the flush and use OEM blue.

Thanks I'll try doing that this weekend.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are the pictures of what I'm seeing right now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It looks like it starting to turn slightly orange like rust is beginning

Look inside the cup they post and there is white particulates. I’d imagine that’s the breakdown of the rust inhibitors

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
This looks like motor oil leaking into the cooling system.
You need professional help.

Reactions: pilotalbert87

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Drain the coolant and refill with Honda approved coolant. Your local parts store can sell the right stuff. Then do a head gasket leak test. Either have a mechanic do it, or buy a kit from your parts store and do it yourself. You probably have a head gasket leak, but test it to verify this first.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
What does the coolant look like when you remove the actual radiator cap? Check only when cold, of course!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,174 Posts
If there is a head gasket leak, I don’t think that explains the external leak (you mentioned grass under Pilot dying). It’s possible that you have two separate issues.

Reactions: pilotalbert87

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic, but it may be the start of the trans cooler/rad failing. Coolant on the ground and oil in the coolant would be symptoms of that.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I opened the radiator to find the same white slime substance in there. The Coolant seems to be a clear yellowish color. It definitely smells like oil.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
So I opened the radiator to find the same white slime substance in there. The Coolant seems to be a clear yellowish color. It definitely smells like oil. View attachment 137168
Well that looks more promising that you do not have an issue. I was expecting to see the entire radiator as the beige slury you had in your overflow bottle. I'd clean the overflow bottle and tube. Drain the radiator. Add distilled water. Let engine warm up to operating temperature. Repeat untill liquid you drain out is clear and mostly all water (I'd buy 5-6 bottles of distilled). Then I'd pour in your new fresh coolant. I prefer using concentrate. I don't like paying for 50/50 (half water). Antifreeze testers to test your mix ratio are cheap at AutoZone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts