Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum. I'd like to ask around if any of you have experienced this same issue. I bought my Pilot EX-L yesterday 4/19/2020 with 126K miles on it. I received two Key Fobs from the previous owner (original owner by the way) and they weren't working at the time. So I went to Walgreens and bought the small coin batteries these key fobs used and what do you know after I pressed the panic button on both fobs they seem to work as the alarm goes off or so I thought. So here's my issue, I then proceded to try and lock the car and nothing happens, it doesn't lock. Instead, the front and rear lights flash twice but no locking action and no horn sound. I then tried the unlock button and same thing happened. So I then tried manually locking the driver's door lock which obviously locks everything and closed the door. Then I proceeded to hit the lock button on the key fob and that actually sounds like it locks all the doors and then I hit it a second time and the horn sounds essentially arming the security system (little red light on the door lock is flashing). I then manually unlocked the door opened it and when I hit the unlock button on the key fob all doors lock. WTH! SOMEONE ENLIGHTEN ME PLEASEEEE!!!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts
First, just to be sure, make sure all doors, including the rear hatch, are completely closed. Then double check to make sure you're hitting the correct buttons on your fob. Then try cycling through through lock and unlock a few times both with the key and with the lock button on the inside of your door.

If you eventually need to reprogram your fobs, here's how:

Have all remotes for the vehicle on hand. Make sure all the doors and rear hatch/trunk are closed during programming. Only need to use 1remote to get into program mode but all remotes must be programmed during the same session. Each step must be completed within 5 seconds.

1. Sit in the car with all doors/trunk tightly closed

2. Turn the key to the ON position, marked by "II" on the ignition bezel so the dash lights come on, then within 5 seconds press the "Lock" button on the remote for 1 second or so and release the button.

3. Turn the key to the OFF position, marked by "I" on the ignition bezel - dash lights go off.

4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 three more times (A total of 4 times) -- each step must be done within 5 seconds of the previous step.

5. Upon the 4th turning of the key to "ON", press the lock button on one remote, the locks will make a cycling sound (clunk), locks will NOT lock or unlock at this point, they will just make a noise. The system is now in programming mode. Do not turn key off.

6. Within 5 seconds of entering programming mode and within 5 seconds of each other, press the lock button ON EACH remote you are programming, for a second or so and release. This step needs to be completed within 10 seconds. Each time a remote button is pushed, the locks should cycle. Up to 3 remotes can be programmed.

7. Turn ignition completely off and remove the key. Step out of car and close door. The remotes should be programmed and should work. If you have a trunk/hatch release, the button for this feature needs to be held for a few seconds before the trunk/hatch will "pop".

Here's a video that might also help.

Keep trying, it eventually does work, if your fobs are good. In the end, what finally worked for me when using the method that goes from II to 0 didn't work: Going from II to I is what did it for me.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, just to be sure, make sure all doors, including the rear hatch, are completely closed. Then double check to make sure you're hitting the correct buttons on your fob. Then try cycling through through lock and unlock a few times both with the key and with the lock button on the inside of your door.

If you eventually need to reprogram your fobs, here's how:

Have all remotes for the vehicle on hand. Make sure all the doors and rear hatch/trunk are closed during programming. Only need to use 1remote to get into program mode but all remotes must be programmed during the same session. Each step must be completed within 5 seconds.

1. Sit in the car with all doors/trunk tightly closed

2. Turn the key to the ON position, marked by "II" on the ignition bezel so the dash lights come on, then within 5 seconds press the "Lock" button on the remote for 1 second or so and release the button.

3. Turn the key to the OFF position, marked by "I" on the ignition bezel - dash lights go off.

4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 three more times (A total of 4 times) -- each step must be done within 5 seconds of the previous step.

5. Upon the 4th turning of the key to "ON", press the lock button on one remote, the locks will make a cycling sound (clunk), locks will NOT lock or unlock at this point, they will just make a noise. The system is now in programming mode. Do not turn key off.

6. Within 5 seconds of entering programming mode and within 5 seconds of each other, press the lock button ON EACH remote you are programming, for a second or so and release. This step needs to be completed within 10 seconds. Each time a remote button is pushed, the locks should cycle. Up to 3 remotes can be programmed.

7. Turn ignition completely off and remove the key. Step out of car and close door. The remotes should be programmed and should work. If you have a trunk/hatch release, the button for this feature needs to be held for a few seconds before the trunk/hatch will "pop".

Here's a video that might also help.

Keep trying, it eventually does work, if your fobs are good. In the end, what finally worked for me when using the method that goes from II to 0 didn't work: Going from II to I is what did it for me.
Thank you very much! I will have to do this as you're saying. It seems that these fobs got messed up somehow.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After trying these steps it still doesn't close as it's supposed to. I believe it's something having to do with the locking mechanism inside the driver's door. It seems like it's stuck or it just doesn't function anymore.

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
Does it work if you use your key? Does it work if you use the lock button on the inside of your door?

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it work if you use your key? Does it work if you use the lock button on the inside of your door?
It works if I manually press the lock on the door down. It doesn't work with the fobs. Now if I press the lock button on the door (the actual lock/unlock button with the little white locks on it) all other locks will lock/unlock but NOT the one on the driver's door.

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
Edit: Yes, please first answer the question above.^^^^

OK, so that sounds like a failed door lock actuator in the driver's side door.

If you're handy, you can replace it yourself. If not so much, it shouldn't terribly expensive, but shop around.

lock actuator replacement

Change door lock solenoid ?

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
That driver door is likely the problem. Start with some lubricant on the lock mechanism but not like this...lol
A classic! :p

Spray silicone lubricant should work pretty well, if that's it.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One question from @plplplpl not answered: does the key on the outer driver door trigger the driver door to unlock?
I'm sorry guys...I just noticed this comment. Yes, if I unlock with the key from outside the driver's door it unlocks. In fact, its the only way I can unlock the car as the key fob don't work.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Yes, if I unlock with the key from outside the driver's door it unlocks. In fact, its the only way I can unlock the car as the key fob don't work.
Great! Just suggesting the easy stuff first before digging deeper. Use something similar that was posted (WD40) directly on the latch mechanism on the door and cycle the door locked and unlocked. Otherwise removing the panel will reveal how the inner lock mechanism works or what has failed.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great! Just suggesting the easy stuff first before digging deeper. Use something similar that was posted (WD40) directly on the latch mechanism on the door and cycle the door locked and unlocked. Otherwise removing the panel will reveal how the inner lock mechanism works or what has failed.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L and 2019 Chev Corvette 2LT
22 Posts
Thanks for the information this programing the fob. One question, before you start the entire process, while in the car, to all the doors have to be locked or does it matter?

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L and 2019 Chev Corvette 2LT
22 Posts
Thanks for the information this programing the fob. One question, before you start the entire process, while in the car, to all the doors have to be locked or does it matter?
plplplpl I did review the video and it says unlock so you can disregard my question, sorry

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
That driver door is likely the problem. Start with some lubricant on the lock mechanism but not like this...lol
Who in the world went crazy with the dielectric greese. Moog would be glad to hire him. Apply at the ball joint factory.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts