Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning guys. It's me again, yes. My Pilot has started to do yet another weird thing lately. At first I thought it was the road because it kind of felt like I was riding over bumps or something but today it got pretty bad. Usually it feels like subtly riding by little bumps or imperfections in the road where you can feel it in the wheel but not as strong. But today it jerked pretty bad for about 6-8 seconds straight and I immediately started looking for any engine lights or errors but nothing. I took my foot off the accelerator and it kind of died down and didn't feel it anymore. This is currently happening at speeds between 45-60 miles an hour. This kind of happened to my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder at the end of last year and it ended up being a couple pistons misfiring and that was causing the car to jerk the way it did and this jerking feels just like it. It also happened to me a few years ago while I was driving my 2013 MINI Cooper Countryman S and that ended up being faulty ignition coils and spark plugs. After replacing coils and plugs it worked beautifully after that. What should I check if I have no check engine lights on. Already ran a diagnostic for codes and nothing came up.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Good morning guys. It's me again, yes. My Pilot has started to do yet another weird thing lately. At first I thought it was the road because it kind of felt like I was riding over bumps or something but today it got pretty bad. Usually it feels like subtly riding by little bumps or imperfections in the road where you can feel it in the wheel but not as strong. But today it jerked pretty bad for about 6-8 seconds straight and I immediately started looking for any engine lights or errors but nothing. I took my foot off the accelerator and it kind of died down and didn't feel it anymore. This is currently happening at speeds between 45-60 miles an hour. This kind of happened to my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder at the end of last year and it ended up being a couple pistons misfiring and that was causing the car to jerk the way it did and this jerking feels just like it. It also happened to me a few years ago while I was driving my 2013 MINI Cooper Countryman S and that ended up being faulty ignition coils and spark plugs. After replacing coils and plugs it worked beautifully after that. What should I check if I have no check engine lights on. Already ran a diagnostic for codes and nothing came up.
Has the transmission fluid ever been changed?

Reactions: pilotalbert87

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. Did it on 4/25/2020 at 126,431 miles using the triple flush method you guys suggested with the recommended ATF for my Honda. Right now it has 129,000+/-. It shouldn't require another flush until it is 136K right unless I now have to look at replacing the gear switches?

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Is there a chance you have water in your gas tank? Were you low on fuel when this happened?

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm a little under half tank so it shouldn't do that unless the sensor isn't showing me the right level for my gas tank.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
I'm a little under half tank so it shouldn't do that unless the sensor isn't showing me the right level for my gas tank.
Do you have reason to think your fuel gauge is not operating correctly?

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have reason to think your fuel gauge is not operating correctly?
No I don't think it is. Since I bought it it's been working correctly. But again you never know when something gets busted. It's 2020 I can expect anything to happen at this point!

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
No I don't think it is. Since I bought it it's been working correctly. But again you never know when something gets busted. It's 2020 I can expect anything to happen at this point!
Gas gauge isn't something that normally fails. Only other things I can think of is a loss of electrical power or loss of oil pressure can cause what you have described. I would think you would get a CEL at this point though.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Take it to auto parts store like Advance / Autozone to get a free scan and see what comes up. Perhaps their scan tool might read something. If it’s bad gas I’d expect symptoms to show up at lower speeds so get the tank filled with top tier fuel to remove a variable.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Take it to auto parts store like Advance / Autozone to get a free scan and see what comes up. Perhaps their scan tool might read something. If it’s bad gas I’d expect symptoms to show up at lower speeds so get the tank filled with top tier fuel to remove a variable.
Just did right now. Filled tank with premium fuel. I never use less than 89 though just to avoid any craziness as it's happened in the past that the 87 gas came full of surprises for me a few times.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
The problem occurring at those speeds suggest a transmission issue with the 3rd or 4th gear pressure switches.

Also - have you checked the level? Perhaps you developed a small leak ( drain plug?) and the ATF is low?

Valve problems are unlikely, misfire problems from valve clearances are more noticeable at startup and at idle.

My experience with Honda is even the slightest engine problem stores a DTC, so this is likely something transmission or suspension related...

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Just did right now. Filled tank with premium fuel. I never use less than 89 though just to avoid any craziness as it's happened in the past that the 87 gas came full of surprises for me a few times.

You can save the extra money for 93 premium. Our vehicles are designed to run on 87 octane. Just make sure to buy a top tier fuel like Exxon, Shell, Chevron, Valero etc. These provide additives that will help keep your engine clean. More so than premium. It has also been proven that 93 does not all burn and is having to be digested by our catalytic converters and even polute more than 87.
Gas gauge seems to work fine!

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
The problem occurring at those speeds suggest a transmission issue with the 3rd or 4th gear pressure switches.
Valve problems are unlikely, misfire problems from valve clearances are more noticeable at startup and at idle.
Yet, that was the symptom I experienced with my Pilot when the valve clearance needed to be adjusted.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
You might akso check your 3 grounding cables. One from your frame to the engine, another from the frame to the transmission. And your battery ground cable is intact and cleanly connected to your frame.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does it happen at that speed whether or not the engine is under a load? Basically does it do it on a flat road the same as a hill?
Yes!

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,336 Posts
Dumb question for you.......Was your cruise on....I've put it on sometimes and forgot....causing weird driving characteristics a bit like that.
Also, on a light throttle, typically 35-45 mph, do you feel any "flutter" in the car?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yet, that was the symptom I experienced with my Pilot when the valve clearance needed to be adjusted.
But valves should generate a 'random misfire' and trigger the CEL....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts