Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In response to the Post asking if anyone has over 200,000 miles on their Honda Pilot :)
We have 236,000 miles on her, bought her at 153000 Mi. Never had to do any maintenance on it whatsoever (except regular oil changes) since we've had it until yesterday the hydraulic tensioner was going so we had the whole timing belt kit done with water pump to the tune of $1,300. Honda dealership found nothing else wrong with it.
Love Honda Pilots!

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
In response to the Post asking if anyone has over 200,000 miles on their Honda Pilot :)
We have 236,000 miles on her, bought her at 153000 Mi. Never had to do any maintenance on it whatsoever (except regular oil changes) since we've had it until yesterday the hydraulic tensioner was going so we had the whole timing belt kit done with water pump to the tune of $1,800. Honda dealership found nothing else wrong with it.
Love Honda Pilots!
Was there anything else done? $1,800 is excessive.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
No sorry...edited it, was 1300.00 not 1800.00
Whew! That's better. Still a little on the high side, but you get some peace of mind going to the dealership.
I definitely like the older Honda's over the new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only went to the dealership because 2 garages said bad motor and something about bearings and rod knock.
Dealership diagnosed and fixed in one day. Back to purring like a kitten and so happy. I will save time and use them from now on.?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I am guessing you had ~130K on your timing belt....glad to hear the tensioner was the first to go and not the belt.

I hope your doing regular transmission fluid drain and fills, replaced the brake fluid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Neither...oops Transmission fluid remains bright and clean on stick. Better look into it now. Thanks for the information
I don't know what or any service done prior to our purchase.

·
Registered
419 Posts
my rule of thumb is I drain and fill the trans fluid with every other oil change. If you have no history, I would recommend (3) drain and fills - driving the car between changes, to replace most of the fluid. This is easier than an oil change since there is no filter, lots of videos available. (I use honda fluid)

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
my rule of thumb is I drain and fill the trans fluid with every other oil change. If you have no history, I would recommend (3) drain and fills - driving the car between changes, to replace most of the fluid. This is easier than an oil change since there is no filter, lots of videos available. (I use honda fluid)
Take some of the fluid when you drain it out and put it in a clear plastic cup... also dip a gloved finger in and spread it on a paper towel. How red and opaque the fluid is will tell you the condition of the fluid. A 3x drain and fill never hurts at this age but if the fluid looks really good you may only need one and then start doing a drain and fill every other oil change or whatever interval you choose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts