Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am new to the forums. I plan on towing a 5x8 Uhaul trailer with my 2007 Honda Pilot Ex-L. I have installed a power steering cooler, transmission cooler and flushed the transmission fluid.

I have an aftermarket tow hitch installed from previous owner capable of a towing weight of 3,500lb's and a curt start 2" ball with a 750lb tongue weight max.

I plan to tow this trailer from San Jose to Orange County full and then back empty to drop off. So pickup in San Jose, trip to Orange County with trailer full, Trip back to San Jose with trailer empty for drop off.

Do you think I should reconsider this or will I be fine? Any information is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
How much will the trailer weigh fully loaded? Does it have trailer brakes? Will you be using them?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Capacity
  • Volume: up to 208 cu. ft.
  • Max load: 1,800 lbs.
  • Gross vehicle weight: 2,700 lbs. max.
  • Empty weight: 900 lbs.
It kind of looks like you answered your own question. Biggest concern is overloading the trailer, and then if you go way beyond that, then going beyond the hitch capacity.

Check to make sure all 8 of the bolts on the hitch are tight and not rotted. 3 on each side and 2 in the middle.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
I would suggest you go to page 213 of the owners manual and read all the information on towing with your vehicle. Your total tow weight also includes the number of passengers or in lieu of passengers, cargo weight in the vehicle as well.

This sounds like one of those move things and if so, then most people also stuff their vehicle with as much as they can possibly carry.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I'd definitely give all of the hitch bolts a torque check, change and top off any fluids and your vehicle is capable of towing such a load. I don't know the condition of your vehicle and the maintenance it's had so it's hard for me to say exactly how much I would do to it to feel as safe as possible.

I don't know how much you've towed, just remember you are not racing anybody and it's OK to take some extra time to get there. Slower speeds place much less stress on the tow vehicle and make for a more enjoyable tow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts