Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I may never be able to afford another car payment.
I've kept up 100% on suggested manufacturers maintenance.
That being said.....if any of you are over 200,000 miles and still going strong, what are your other recommendations concerning upkeep in the future? Bearings, struts, shocks, engine components? In other words anything and everything. What have you done to be proactive rather than waiting for something to fail?? My thanks in advance for any and all advice. Steve

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
432 Posts
Sounds like you are doing everything I can think of and following this Forum is taking it to the next level concerning present and possibly future issues. Nice Job!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Only things I would add are:
  • valve adjustment sometime between now and 200k
  • check your ATF fluid and its dark and disgusting, drain/refill every time you change your oil until you're satisfied

--Chris N.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
If you have VCM, disable it.
Oil leaks can start to happen. I'd do a Fel-Pro valve cover gasket kit with grommets and spark plug tube seals. Replace Vtec and oil filter housing gaskets. They like to fail between now and 200k.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,845 Posts
I have done a tranny drain and fill every 15k miles which is more often than the manual states. I have also changed out rear differential fluid every 15k miles which is also more often than Honda’s service interval recommendation. Additionally I don’t recall Honda specifying an interval for power steering fluid replacement which I do every 20k miles or so.
If you have a 2005 with original radiator you might consider changing it out since this year was notorious for coolant and tranny fluid mixing when radiator internals fail.
If you have a 2006 and newer AWD you might change out the transfer case fluid at least as often as specified.
Other than that I have followed Honda’s maintenance interval recommendations and replaced items at the first sign of moderate to major upcoming failure. So far so good at 117k miles.

It sounds like you are taking good care of your Pilot. Regular fluid changes and maintenance are two factors to keeping our Pilots, and any other vehicles we own, up and running.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
If you have a 2005 with original radiator you might consider changing it out since this year was notorious for coolant and tranny fluid mixing when radiator internals fail.
Thread title says 2007, so he should probably be OK for the ATF-coolant mix. Still, I changed mine for a Denso from Rockauto because of simple radiator leak. Relatively cheap insurance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have done a tranny drain and fill every 15k miles which is more often than the manual states. I have also changed out rear differential fluid every 15k miles which is also more often than Honda’s service interval recommendation. Additionally I don’t recall Honda specifying an interval for power steering fluid replacement which I do every 20k miles or so.
If you have a 2006 and newer AWD you might change out the transfer case fluid at least as often as specified.
Other than that I have followed Honda’s maintenance interval recommendations and replaced items at the first sign of moderate to major upcoming failure. So far so good at 117k miles.

It sounds like you are taking good care of your Pilot. Regular fluid changes and maintenance are two factors to keeping our Pilots, and any other vehicles we own, up and running.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Thread title says 2007, so he should probably be OK for the ATF-coolant mix. Still, I changed mine for a Denso from Rockauto because of simple radiator leak. Relatively cheap insurance.

View attachment 139867
My Pilot is a little older but any first generation Pilot owner needs to look down under for the rust and corrosion that affects every old Pilot. My Pilot did me a big favor and did not leave me stranded in Canada 🇨🇦 not that there’s anything wrong with the lovely country.
3C4ED2B8-E18C-4B33-8BE6-CE56D7806589.jpeg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Look out for the rear engine seal. When these give out all you need to do is drop the transmission out of the engine bay to replace it.

The next time you change your engine oil. Replace it with a synthetic oil. I know many of you are gonna say look out for the leaks as synthetics will find a a place to leak if there is a place to leak.

We are going to use this wonderful characteristic of fine synthetic oil to protect ourselves in advance.

When you change your engine oil add about a half bottle of Blue Devil Rear Seal Leak Sealer to the oil. The synthetic oil will carry the seal treatment right to the dehydrated seals that need it the most. This will save you $3,500 when you don't ever have to replace the $40 rear and $10 oil port seals.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
When you change your engine oil add about a half bottle of Blue Devil Rear Seal Leak Sealer to the oil.
Agree with the advice about the full synth engine oil, but before putting your faith in some cyan Beelzebub, use AT-205 Re-Seal instead. :)

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,845 Posts
My Pilot is a little older but any first generation Pilot owner needs to look down under for the rust and corrosion that affects every old Pilot. My Pilot did me a big favor and did not leave me stranded in Canada 🇨🇦 not that there’s anything wrong with the lovely country. View attachment 139872
Talk about living on borrowed time.😁

Reactions: aggrex

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
432 Posts
Almost Forgot-Clean Out your Mudflaps at front tires to help prevent water infiltration on floorboards. Search for “Floor boards wet” Been there done that on 2005 Exl
Cheers!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts