Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a prospective buyer of this vehicle. Please take a look at the PICS and give me an idea how much it would take to repair. Much Thanks!!
pilot-1.jpg pilot-2.jpg pilot-3.jpg

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I’d definitely want a look underneath that thing. It might snap in half when placed on a lift.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
While surface rust like in your pictures may be a cosmetic eyesore, what you really should do, as suggested above, is (carefully) get it up on a lift and inspect the subframe mount. That's structural and more serious.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Typical rust for this vehicle. Just got an 04 with similar rust. Underneath was good on mine. You definitely wanna check under it. Spots like that you can fix. I bought as second vehicle so it's a project. If underneath is rusty walk away.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Jump on it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would love to know how a vehicle that's this clean underneath has any body rust at all.

If that's legit (i.e., not just an undercoat sprayed on to make everything look perfect), then its great. My skeptical nature tells me it might not be legit, though: everything is one color, and it looks like there are some rough spots under the perfect finish. The rusty exhaust pipe and axles in pilot-u3 look fishy to me. In pilot-u5, it looks like the lower control arm in the lower right is rusty, but nothing else is. That doesn't add up.

In my opinion, a seller trying to hide rust cannot be trusted, even if its "just to make everything look better".

Of course, I'm a skeptic and I'm just seeing your pictures. Like I said - if this looks legit when you're under the car, it looks great.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I would love to know how a vehicle that's this clean underneath has any body rust at all.

If that's legit (i.e., not just an undercoat sprayed on to make everything look perfect), then its great. My skeptical nature tells me it might not be legit, though: everything is one color, and it looks like there are some rough spots under the perfect finish. The rusty exhaust pipe and axles in pilot-u3 look fishy to me. In pilot-u5, it looks like the lower control arm in the lower right is rusty, but nothing else is. That doesn't add up.

In my opinion, a seller trying to hide rust cannot be trusted, even if its "just to make everything look better".

Of course, I'm a skeptic and I'm just seeing your pictures. Like I said - if this looks legit when you're under the car, it looks great.
My first thought was waitwhat, wow!

My second thought was much more along the above. Get a pro to inspect it, at the very least. Russian mail order brides look real good on the internet...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I’m with Tacoma03Pilot on this one. Something isn’t adding up as the underbody is waaaayyyy too clean. I especially am skeptical of the bubbly looking areas which have been coated.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
actually you guys are correct on this ... The original undercoating for the gen 1 pilots is green. At least that's whats on my 06 I purchased mine from 10 miles on the meter so I know it's the original..those pics looks like the Pilots been patched up and ready to go... I would pass on this

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
actually you guys are correct on this ... The original undercoating for the gen 1 pilots is green. At least that's whats on my 06 I purchased mine from 10 miles on the meter so I know it's the original..those pics looks like the Pilots been patched up and ready to go... I would pass on this

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
considering look at it this way ..you should not have any "rust" at the wheel wells visible if the undercarriage is that great looking ... so I think they sprayed the hell out it with bed liner or something just to get rid of it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lets say there is rust underneath and it is covered with rust reformer, is that an acceptible solution to control rust?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
It might control future rust but the mechanical integrity of those areas with rust has already been compromised. If you are still seriously considering this Pilot I suggest having it inspected at your trusted mechanic.

Personally, I would pass and start looking elsewhere. There are too many red flags to ignore.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Personally, I would pass and start looking elsewhere. There are too many red flags to ignore.
Agree. If rust is sprayed over, there's no way to know what's underneath. First-gen Pilots have few fatal flaws, but unibody rust is one of them. Covering up swiss cheese with rust killer still leaves you with swiss cheese. Further, you have no idea what else has been hidden, and given the effort someone went to on the undercarriage, that other stuff probably won't be easy to find until it fails, too.

If its cheap enough that you can comfortably eat the cost and you just want a throw-away beater, maybe its worth the risk. If you're looking for a good value that you can drive for a while, I don't think this is it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure what the price is but for what it's worth here's my advice. Look at carmax in Florida for same or similar or just check on autotrader. You would rarely find a rusted car that spent its life in Florida (unless it came from up north). Example- I once owned a 2001 4Runner that i bought used in 2007. Zero rust. I drove it up to Saratoga Springs NY for work. While there I went to Toyota for an oil change. After awhile I looked into the service bay and found 8 guys under the car looking around. They had never seen one without rust anywhere. Not sure what part of the US you are in but if the option is available I would look to buy from places that dont have the winter environments to contend with.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts