Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 EX with approx 98K miles. Had the timing belt and water pump service done about 4K ago. Today upon inspection of overflow res I noticed the level had dropped a few inches. Checked oil and tranny levels and fluids were both fine and the condition of fluids was not contaminated. Also checked oil cap and oil appeared normal. Slid under the vehicle and to take a look and noticed blue/green coolant stain on bottom of oil pan (which appears to have come from above and blown back) I filled the overflow res back to approp level and started the car let it run to temp (no overheating whatsoever historically w this vehicle) and then shut the engine off. Upon looking immediately under after sure enough there was a drip of pure coolant coming from above the front of the oil pan area. Difficult to see from above and below but would this area and symptom point to a leak from the water pump? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a note...the leak only occurs while the engine is running. I cannot visually see where the coolant is dripping down from when looking from above into the engine bay BUT upon reaching my hand down past the power steering pump through the serpentine belt I can feel the source of the wet spot and what seems to feel like a rubber gasket or sealant that has come loose. Not familiar with this specific area of the vehicle so please forgive my ignorance. Thanks for any help/insight.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Did you perform the major service?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you perform the major service?
I did not...outside my tinkering threshold. My family uses a local Meineke who employs an ex Honda dealership mechanic who did the job. I guess I will be bringing it back there either way at this point but was looking for some insight from the think tank. Ideas?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'm sure he'll get it sorted for you at no charge. Keep us posted so we know where things went wrong.:29:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure he'll get it sorted for you at no charge. Keep us posted so we know where things went wrong.:29:
No charge? Not familiar with this term. But moving on...any idea what I am feeling in that area that could be leaking coolant? Seems almost above the front of the oil pan but below the water pump area. Almost hoping it is related to water pump and not an internal engine coolant leak.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
There is a gasket that goes around the water pump. If that doesn't mate properly around the pump that might cause a leak.

If the shop has to repair something related to what they did. I'm sure the shop will not bill you again to fix it. Hence no charge or no cost to you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the shop has to repair something related to what they did. I'm sure the shop will not bill you again to fix it. Hence no charge or no cost to you
Ha. Yeah that was sarcasm before on my part. Thanks though. Just wondering if anyone could associate the symptoms above at the location on the vehicle with an internal engine problem like a blown head gasket or am I more likely looking at a leaking water pump?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Head gasket will normally have internal leak that causes white exhaust smoke. If head gasket blown bad enough to drip fluid out it would be running with a bad miss.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Defective water pump. Replaced without charge. Case solved. (I hope)

·
Registered
2017 EX-L, rack, boards, hitch 2007 Ex-L Navi, rack, boards, hitch 2016 CR-V, rack
41 Posts
My '07 EX-L (135K miles) is leaking antifreeze - overflow was almost empty. Filled it and took to Firestone - was getting lifetime alignment recheck after I had replaced driver's rear knuckle (and bearing and hub), rear shocks, and threw in some adjustable upper control arms. Had Firestone pressure test and leak is coming from water pump. Already had major service done at 105K miles - timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump; and had power steering pump and new radiator done as well. So biting the bullet and doing whole timing belt/water pump kit all over again! Buying the parts and having mechanic do it instead of doing it in my driveway.

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
My '07 EX-L (135K miles) is leaking antifreeze - overflow was almost empty. Filled it and took to Firestone - was getting lifetime alignment recheck after I had replaced driver's rear knuckle (and bearing and hub), rear shocks, and threw in some adjustable upper control arms. Had Firestone pressure test and leak is coming from water pump. Already had major service done at 105K miles - timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump; and had power steering pump and new radiator done as well. So biting the bullet and doing whole timing belt/water pump kit all over again! Buying the parts and having mechanic do it instead of doing it in my driveway.
Can you get a photo of your leaking pump? It be intresting to see just what failed whether the gasket or the actual seal.
Do you know what brand parts were used?

·
Registered
2017 EX-L, rack, boards, hitch 2007 Ex-L Navi, rack, boards, hitch 2016 CR-V, rack
41 Posts
Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,261 Posts
I understand it's little help once the horse has left the barn, but if AC Delco water pumps are in the same league as Gates water pumps, you should go with an Aisin. If it comes to swapping out, though, get it this time around.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
I understand it's little help once the horse has left the barn, but if AC Delco water pumps are in the same league as Gates water pumps, you should go with an Aisin. If it comes to swapping out, though, get it this time around.

Thanks for the heads up!
I'm still a little shocked by the Gates experience. A family member began noticing coolant stains on the driveway under the Acura TL. The last thing you would think, that it be a water pump you replaced a couple of years ago.
We made a forum poll on which was the best TB WP kit. This might boost your confidence in Aisin.

Reactions: plplplpl and D-Dub

·
Registered
41 Posts
Checked the Aisin - specs say it doesn't fit the 2007 AWD Pilot (J3509), just the 2WD (J3471).

·
Registered
9,404 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,261 Posts
Checked the Aisin - specs say it doesn't fit the 2007 AWD Pilot (J3509), just the 2WD (J3471).
Are you sure? It should, I believe, both for the Aisin water pump itself...

2006 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Water Pump | RockAuto

.and as part of the Aisin timing belt kit...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts