Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2007 is my regular commuter vehicle, driven almost every weekday. This morning I drove about 10 miles to a friend's house, then when I started the Pilot back up to return home, the starter was slow like the battery wasn't providing enough power. On that return trip, the UltraGauge showed the bus voltage going between 12 & 13, but it occasionally jumped up close to 14 (the voltage has been running typically at about 13.8 since I started watching it this past year). Then after getting home, I went back out and started her up, no problem, and voltage was back up at 13.8.

Normally I would think this is an alternator failing, but when I got some service done at the dealership back in February, they said the starter was noisy and should be replaced. Also, the battery is over 3 years old, and they almost always fail after about 3 years.

Can the local O'Reilly/AutoZone/AAP test each of these without removal to determine which is the problem?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
They can do a load test on the battery while it is in the vehicle. They should also be able to measure alternator output voltage while it’s installed. I’m not sure about the starter.
You should also visually inspect the large ground and power wires for corrosion. If you have an ohmmeter you can also measure resistance (do that with battery disconnected).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I went to go get everything tested at AAP yesterday but she wouldn't start. The starter barely turned then did nothing but click. The battery voltage was good so that was enough for me to think it had to be the starter. Took the wife's Jetta to AAP, got the refurb CarQuest starter, and then spent the next couple hours in the driveway trying to swap it out. It was NOT as easy as I thought it would be. There is so much stuff in the way, and getting to the bolts is quite tricky, with the bottom one being pretty much invisible.

Once I got the replacement in, she started up and did so several times since then with good strength.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Could still be a weak alternator that slowly killed your battery. 13.8 volts at idle is on the low side of the normal range. 14.4 at idle with all headlights and fans at full blast is more where you should be. Keep an eye on the voltage, or you may kill the new battery as well. The systems interact, and a bad starter that draws too much power can overload both battery and alternator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey there, having same issue with my 2008 Pilot. Long crank, before it comes on. Thought it was the starter, so I replaced it today. Unfortunately, on my inaugural start, I experienced the same problems, but it did turn over. Second time that I started it, it came right on. My buddy came over and tested the battery and alternator and both were in spec. We pulled the front three spark plugs to get a sense on what the spark plugs looked like and they looked fine (a bit work, but fine).

Could this be a fuel issue? Either bad fuel or something wrong with the fuel delivery system?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There are 3 tools to diagnose them:
1.multi tester ($5 from Harbor Freight)
7 Function Digital Multimeter
2.multitester with ampermeter clamp ($12 from HarborFreight)
Digital Clamp Meter
3.battery load tester ($20 Harbor Freight)
100 Amp 6/12V Battery Load Tester

#2 is enough to check everything, when battery is installed. I will not type instructions, find on internet. Everybody should have at least #1.
90% of car mechanics are dumb. I am a car mechanic, kind of, but I am within 10% (most of the time...:))

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hey there, having same issue with my 2008 Pilot. Long crank, before it comes on. Thought it was the starter, so I replaced it today. Unfortunately, on my inaugural start, I experienced the same problems, but it did turn over. Second time that I started it, it came right on. My buddy came over and tested the battery and alternator and both were in spec. We pulled the front three spark plugs to get a sense on what the spark plugs looked like and they looked fine (a bit work, but fine).

Could this be a fuel issue? Either bad fuel or something wrong with the fuel delivery system?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yes, fuel could be the problem. Your description of hard starting could point to a failing fuel pump.

Next time the engine won't start, have a friend bang on the fuel tank with a rubber hammer as you crank. If that wakes up the fuel pump, then you should put in a new one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Buy a voltmeter from ebay for lighter hole. It is about $3 shipped.
1. charged battery 12.7V
2.Starting- not less than 9V
3.running engine 13.5-14.5V(?). Most motorcycles and some cars DO NOT charge battery at idle. charginf starts at 2000 RPM. I don't know about Pilots.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you to those who responded. I filled the car up with premium gas and added Heet. It seems to be getting a little better, no long starts but still some hesitation. Think my next steps will be induction service (Seafoam) and a throttle body cleaning just to see if that improves anything. (That said, it didn't improve anything on my Acura a couple years back, but I wasn't having any issues either - aka being suckered). If those don't improve it, I will look into the fuel pump. Thanks again Team!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts