Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 EX-L (Should be an EX-V, 'cuz vinyl, lol)
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have the donut spare under the rear of my '06. I also have 3 of the spiffy-looking OEM wheels and 1 of the goofier-looking wheels with the stripe down each spoke. I have found plenty of wheels on Ebay and such, so I was thinking of replacing it with a match.

Question is now, can I put the extra wheel I'll have in the spot of the donut so I have an actual spare tire in case of flats?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was able to put a full size spare under my 06. When I replaced a set of tires with good tread due to a utility knife blade leaving a 1/2 inch cut in one, I took the one with the most tread and put it on a cheap-o rim.

I did have to shave down the hanger block that goes through the center of the rim to get it to fit through.

And thankfully I found this when I was rotating my tires and not changing a flat. The shop I got the new rim from grabbed the wrong one and the bolt pattern didn't line up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds awesome. Thanks!

Anyone know how to get that reflective coating right in front of the rear wheels off? It's rather unsightly and cracked.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine didn't have any reflective on it. Is it a sticker or more of 'painted' application? If a sticker I would try applying a little heat to see if that will loosen the adhesive. Or maybe try something like Goof-Off and plastic putty knife.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you’re referring to that clear section in front of the rear wheel well I always thought that was a gravel/debris shield
That's the one. But of course on mine, it's cracked and split in many places on both sides of the Pilot. So I want to clean it off and have a nice, smooth surface there instead.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,894 Posts
Extended version:

tl:dr version:

Point is, yes it fits. Tip: have your spare hoist generously imbibe silicone spray lubricant from the top (where the tire iron is used to lower the spare) and from as much of the bottom as you can get to 1 or 2 days before you lower the donut, especially if you can't remember the last time you let it down, to mitigate the likelihood of it being rusted or seized into immobility.

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
I fit a 17 inch MDX tire under my Pilot. Fits fine.
Good of you to confirm a 17" also fits under there. Eyeballing it, I thought it might fit, but not sure. My daughter may replace her elderly donut with one of her winter tires, but the previous owner gave her his 17" winters.

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
The OEM hitch will allow a full size spare, for the record. That's my setup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts