Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told by several auto techs that once a timing belt breaks, the engine is toast. And then there are a couple of YouTube videos of guys who re-sync the engines, put on a new belt and are back in business......
My question is: if I decide to try this, how do I find instructions on how to re-sync the crank and cams? This is a 2006 Pilot with 250K miles on it. The belt failed when I was cresting a hill at about 35 mph last Saturday night heading into town to fetch a pizza. I also have an '08 Pilot with 71K miles on it. I figure if I buy a kit for the "06 and it turns out the engine is shot, I can use the new kit on the '08 and all I'm out is a few hours of grunt work. If the fairy tale comes true and the '06 runs, then I'll spring for another kit for the '08.
At any rate, where would I find the info on how to put the '06 engine back into sync?
Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you have a timing belt break on a non-interference engine (valves don't collide with pistons after belt breaks), you should be able to do just what you are talking about. On an engine which allows the valves to collide with the pistons in the event of a timing belt break, re-syncing won't do much good if the valves are bent and left unrepaired.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I suppose after putting the belt on, I would turn the engine, see if it turns freely with the plugs removed. Then do a compression test. There are some posts of engines surviving......as you said its only labor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Its not a re-sync just timing reset, make sure you set piston one at TDC the put the heads at there marks, i can get you the proper positions if interested...

·
Registered
603 Posts
agree with AndyC, but here you go

that video is crap. He doesn’t even know how to properly install the belt, and it doesn’t help someone set upa re-time.
OP you need to pull the cams and set them correctly for the piston 1 to be at TDC. Theoretically you could rotate the crank slowly while rotating the cams to keep from doing any more damage on the valves, but I doubt there is a lot of experience with that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts