Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used 2006 Honda Pilot EX with 180,000 mi on it. The timing belt was changed at 110,000 MI and the service records were very good.
I noticed a knocking noise when this is running and I recorded a video for you to hear to see if maybe you could point me in the right direction.
I am scheduled to have the timing belt, water pump, new belts, and tensioners on Monday.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
So you're having the timing belt done at 70K this time? I'm not sure what the noise may be from the video.
Other guru's while chime in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are you referring to the knocking noise that becomes pronounced after the fans kick on (after you have moved the camera to the belt side of the engine?)
I am unsure what that is but I have the exact same noise, been searching all around the engine bay for the cause.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Update: Another thread with noise in similar area suggests timing belt tensioner bad. Maybe the same thing, and on mine as well. Ugh

·
Registered
2019 Honda Pilot Touring AWD
66 Posts
It’s really hard to distinguish the knocking noise in the video, have you had your valve clearance adjusted? Your air tube is torn btw.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Like we can tell where a noise is coming from on a video?? You need to locate the source of the noise. Mechanics stethoscope is not expensive, check Amazon or local auto parts store. Place the probe on suspected areas. Be careful of rotating assemblies. You need to do the homework to narrow it down, or be ready to pay a shop to do it for you.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
279 Posts
my timing belt tensioner was failing and made a horrible knocking noise that was noticeable without any stethoscope.
you could pop off the rear inspection cover then play with the belt while engine off to see if it has any slack

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Timing belt tensioner does not sound like it's failing in this video. Sounds like you may have a valve that needs adjustment. Then I heard the AC compressor kick on a single time.
I wouldn't discourage you from changing the timing belt if that gives you peace of mind. What year was it changed at 110k?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s really hard to distinguish the knocking noise in the video, have you had your valve clearance adjusted? Your air tube is torn btw.
Would this cause 5he check engine light to come on and cause a code that points to catalytic converter or exhaust leak?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Timing belt tensioner does not sound like it's failing in this video. Sounds like you may have a valve that needs adjustment. Then I heard the AC compressor kick on a single time.
I wouldn't discourage you from changing the timing belt if that gives you peace of mind. What year was it changed at 110k?
I'm not sure.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I'm not sure.
Since Honda recommends replacing the timing belt every 7 years or 105k miles. Then when it was done is just as important as mileage. If I couldn't establish the date it was done, I'd replace now. If I couldn't establish that Honda OEM parts or an Aisin kit was used, I'd replace now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since Honda recommends replacing the timing belt every 7 years or 105k miles. Then when it was done is just as important as mileage. If I couldn't establish the date it was done, I'd replace now. If I couldn't establish that Honda OEM parts or an Aisin kit was used, I'd replace now.
I'm having it replaced Monday. Thanks for the advice. It is 15 years old so it's a good bet that it's been 7 years. I can't read the yellow sticker.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
If at all possible, do it with the Aisin kit. You'll never know why you should have thanked me. :)

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Aisin: MADE IN JAPAN & tons cheaper than OEM (where if it's like Subaru you have to buy all the parts individually.)
Yes, the Aisin water pump is made in Japan. But just to set the record straight, many OEM parts for Honda are. Aisin has been an OEM supplier for Honda on many engines.

Aisin timing belt water pump kits contain OEM supplier parts.
Mitsuboshi timing belt
Koyo Idler bearing
Koyo tensioner bearing
Aisin tensioner
I've installed uncountable Aisin kits not only in Honda's but other makes. I recently installed an Aisin kit in a Chevrolet Sonic. The Aisin kit contained a GM bearings. I've never had an Aisin kit fail.

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl
1 - 20 of 20 Posts