Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ... I am new here ( the wife asking questions for my husband ..Used a Foxwell NT510 Elite OBDII scanner to get these codes).. great to have a forum just about the Pilot !!

We own older CRV's, this is our 1st Pilot.... 71,000 miles.. only had it a week ...got Winter tires put on yesterday and the dreaded Check engine light just came on ... these particular codes aren't very common to find on the net it seems... found BOTH codes (C0720 and C0320) on an "Engine Troubles.com" site and "EngineCodes.net"

C0320 OBD-II Diagnostic Chassis (C) Trouble Code Description
C0320 engine trouble code is about Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor B Circuit High.
Reason For C0320 Code
The reason of C0320 OBD-II Engine Trouble Code is Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction.
C0720 OBD-II Diagnostic Chassis (C) Trouble Code Description
C0720 engine trouble code is about Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor B Circuit High.
Reason For C0720 Code
The reason of C0720 OBD-II Engine Trouble Code is Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Intermittent.

Anyone familiar with these codes, had them and paid to get them fixed ?? Very worried of the cost at a Honda shop -- Thank you so much for taking the time to read my thread .. Any advice. please please post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just went to Honda Shop, paid $100 for diagnosis... it's a P0420 code ... basically the Cat Converter. Other codes : AT-771-1 Powertrain System Failure -due to P0420
ABS-61-1 Battery voltage failure -low battery at some point
ABS-83-1 ECM/PCM Relation Failure -due to P0420

Seems that FOxwell scanner has a code language of its own.. just bought it & going to return it.

Husband is looking online... does a 2006 Pilot have 2 Cat Converters, one in the front & one in the rear?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Too bad. Autozone would pull your codes for free.

The 2006 Pilot has 3 cats.

To replace them all, its around $600 in parts (Walker brand)

You need to get from the codes the front bank or rear bank. Then consider replacing those oxygen sensors with new Denso's and see if that changes anything.... its cheaper, easier, and some have reported success. Sometimes a new cat is whats needed. Sometimes it's carboned up because of something else. With only 71k miles it might just be a failed cat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok... we don't require an emissions test where we live... the Pilot runs beautifully... dismayed this vehicle has 3 cats... why in the world did they do [email protected]# !

Anyway... again, I am just the wife asking this question.. but we heard that even if 5% efficiency is lost, these "CHeck Engine" lights come on- giving the P0420 code...

Will NOT getting a NEW Cat cause ENGINE problems ?? Basically we don't mind or care if it wastes a little more gas, we bought this Pilot to replace a 9 seater gas hogging but very faithful 1997 Suburban...

Honda Dealer Shop Price to fix this quoting what is written on invoice here :

"CAT Converter parts & Labor $1,345 ...02 Sensors may be melted in, won't know until Tech tries to remove upper $310 lower $500 "

That is obscene what they charge.. but it sounds as though this is a VERY difficult job to do yourself.. in the meantime.. we are looking at alternatives to "clean" out the CAT ... and hopefully this light will stay off a while..

Any advice as you all know way more about Pilots over us ...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Do you know which cat failed, the front or the rear?

I'd search this site for P0420 - there are a TON of posts about this and see what ultimately fixed it. It is usually a failed cat.

However a lot of other things could contribute to it, such as a clogged PCV causing oil consumption and causing the cat to get messed up..... or other things that have thrown off the fuel mixtures in the past that were not fixed and just ignored. EGR system, etc.

If this were mine, I'd resolve it. I do not drive vehicles with a CEL on.

I'd do the things that are known to have issues as preventative maintenance first (doing this myself, if I were paying a mechanic I'd be selective), then replace the cat if these all fail to produce results.

1. Pay special attention to oil consumption, as this can damage a cat.
2. Replace PCV
3. If the 2006 Pilot is 2WD it has VCM, I'd disable it.
4. Replace the spark plugs and only install NGK irridium/OEM plugs.
5. Replace the EGR valve.
6. Clean all EGR passages in the intake plenum.
7. Clean IAC sensor area and throttle body
8. Run a tank with CATACLEAN through it.
9. Replace the upstream and downstream O2 sensors on the cat that was diagnosed to be faulty.

If none of those did it... you know its the cat, and the vehicle being 14 years old and 71,000 with unknown service history likely needs it. I would NOT take a cat replacement job to a Honda dealer. It is one of the few where their parts costs are a total ripoff... no way I'd pay those prices, especially for the sensors. I'd find a reputable shop who will agree with their diagnosis, and do the repair for a lot less.

FYI, if I had just purchased this vehicle, I'd plan for a lot of preventative maintenance..... up front. Any 14 year old used vehicle, no matter how well cared for, is going to need some scheduled maintenance.

Air filter, cabin filter, oil, oil filter
Transmission fluid drain and fill 3 times over consecutive days
VTM/transfer case fluid if AWD
Inspect shocks/struts/sway bar bushings/sway bar links/alignment
Timing belt, timing belt tensioner, pulleys, bolts, water pump, coolant change service (official mileage is 105k but at 14 years old I'd be planning for it soon)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of this up.. I printed this for my husband ...

It's confusing what exactly this vehicle is.. as it says on the CAR FAX that it's All wheel drive. but clearly it has a "VTM-4 Lock button" inside and was advertised as a 4x4 . ?? What is the difference between a 4x4 Pilot and a AWD Pilot ?

Last Emission passed on CarFax was 2yrs ago at 64,000 miles.. then the next year it said "Exempt from emissions inspection" (listed on CarFax)-that was at 69,000 miles.

Yeah we sure agree with you on the cost at the Honda [email protected]# What is interesting is.. we also have a 1997 CRV that is about 90,000 miles, we've ran it 2 yrs now, no record of a Timing belt change.. so I called around to 5 shops in our regional area with all different prices for this "Timing Belt, water heater, etc package job"..... just made the app next week for a cost of $600 plus tax, another shop was $500 MORE ...same package!

After this is done.. we need to get the TIMING Belt changed on this 2006 Pilot as it has no record it was done.. or maybe it was done --- CAR FAX SHOWS 9-2017 -- IT SAYS "Vehicle Serviced- Maintenance inspection completed- right airbag assembly replaced" It has the HONDA Shop listed with phone # in Harrisburg PA... can I call them & ask if they did the TIMING BELT ? I wish they would make it more clear what was done when saying "VEHICLE SERVICED"...

Do you have any idea how they list it on a Car FAX when these Hondas have a Maintenance Timing belt changed ?

We'll be going down your list, I haven't explored this site any yet... plan too, just got here & put up this thread earlier today.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh you asked whether FRONT or REAR... well I guess the p0420 code is for REAR, isn't it ? we got that impression from reading stuff on the net .. I know the Mechanic at Honda said it's not an easy job.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Oh you asked whether FRONT or REAR... well I guess the p0420 code is for REAR, isn't it ? we got that impression from reading stuff on the net .. I know the Mechanic at Honda said it's not an easy job.
Yep you are right - that's a code for bank 1, which is the rear. I don't know why the rear bank 1 always seems to fail first. Yours having AWD means your engine is not VCM.

It is HIGHLY unlikely that anyone would have changed the timing belt on that vehicle, given the low mileage. You'd only be doing it now because of age. If you don't have Honda do the work, make sure it is a shop you know and trust. A failure down the road on an interference engine like these, will destroy the engine if the belt breaks, or the bolt holding a pulley breaks and takes out the belt.

These are great vehicles, but the timing belt/water pump/spark plug service every 100,000 miles is the biggest expense they have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts