Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,

My 2006 LX Honda Pilot front passenger side brakes seem to be locked. I changed the caliper and line and still the same issue. It smokes caused by the rubbing of the pads on the drum. What can it be?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I assume you mean rotor not drum .. double check that you replaced back the pad springs. you will notice holes on top of the pads themselves . Two springs per Caliper ... those little buggers help to push the pads off the rotor...local auto parts stores carry them if you are missing them. Did you make sure there is no air in the lines after bleeding them ? check your fluid level.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you mean rotor not drum .. double check that you replaced back the pad springs. you will notice holes on top of the pads themselves . Two springs per Caliper ... those little buggers help to push the pads off the rotor...local auto parts stores carry them if you are missing them. Did you make sure there is no air in the lines after bleeding them ? check your fluid level.
View attachment 131959

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good morning, Tahoefever

Yes, you right the rotor I meant. I don't have those clips and it certainly can be the issue on hand. Sorry to bother, but, would you have a picture showing where it exactly goes? Or where I can go to see a picture on the web.

Thank you very much. :)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Good morning, Tahoefever

Yes, you right the rotor I meant. I don't have those clips and it certainly can be the issue on hand. Sorry to bother, but, would you have a picture showing where it exactly goes? Or where I can go to see a picture on the web.

Thank you very much. :)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Millions of vehicles rode without the springs with no brake issues. It is nice that Honda uses the springs, but they are not necessary for normal brake operation. If your brake locks up, you may have a much bigger problem than the lack of springs, such as an ABS actuator problem.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Any codes on the dash ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, there's nothing on the dash. One of my buddies recommended disconnecting the battery to see if the ABS relay, or something like that, will reset?

·
Registered
822 Posts
I just did a quick Google search about your problem, and came up with several hits referring to the ABS system being sometimes controlled by the VSA. Apparently, sometimes the VSA stability program either gets a false sensor input, or there is a glitch in the program. VSA then takes over and causes brake lockup. There is even a class action lawsuit going on about this problem. I did not find any information on how to resolve the issue, and it's hard to tell just how widespread this problem is, but the 2005 and 2006 years seem to be problematic.

Maybe its time to call Honda and see if they can give you some good information? I do not know if any TSB's or recalls have been issued.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
for a 13 year old vehicle ? i doubt it

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I reconnected the battery after two hours and nothing. The problem still the same. seems that the passenger side tire brakes stay stuck. It is as if the caliper is not working. I guess I'm going to have to tow it to a shop. :-(
:(

·
Registered
822 Posts
What happens if you open the bleeder on the jammed caliper? If fluid squirts out under pressure, then that brake circuit is being activated by the vehicle computer.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
At this point my bets on that caliper being bad ,,,

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, I was busy with the wife she had surgery a few days ago. Tomorrow I will definitely open the bleeder on the jammed caliper to see what happens then post it. I'm hoping I can get to the bottom of what's happening before taking it to a shop $$$$$$$. ;)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
First, make sure that the guide pins and piston are freely moving. Then open the bleeder valve and do as STMech said.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Sorry, I was busy with the wife she had surgery a few days ago. Tomorrow I will definitely open the bleeder on the jammed caliper to see what happens then post it. I'm hoping I can get to the bottom of what's happening before taking it to a shop $$$$$$$. ;)
Hope everything is OK been there myself ...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good evening to all

I did what STmech told me to do.

Steps I took.

1. Without touching the breaks or pumping them, I opened the bleeder valve and only a few drops came out, nothing major (no stream or anything ). Then it stopped quickly.
2. I turned on the vehicle and it first began to move a bit better then it felt to start locking up. So I had to turn around and park the car.
3. I shut off the car and opened the bleeder valve. Again a few drops and nothing major like a stream.

What do you think?

·
Registered
822 Posts
If the computer is causing the wheel lockup, it's going to do it when the engine is running. Get the wheel to lockup with the car running, put it in neutral and safely jack up that wheel. Let the engine idle. Try spinning the wheel by hand. If it's jammed, open the bleeder. Fluid squirting means the computer is telling ABS to lockup that wheel. Just a dribble means my guess was wrong.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts