Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang!

i‘m the original owner of a 2006 Pilot EX-L that now has 220,000 miles on it. It has been meticulously maintained and is, very frankly, the best vehicle I have ever owned in my 52 years on this planet! It’s now my daughters car while she’s in college and it has started making a VERY LOUD chatter sound that sounds EXACTLY like baseball cards in bicycle spokes. It does it from idle up to about 2200 RPMs and then stops completely Whether revving it or driving it. It sounded like it was coming from the power steering pump and even though I have never heard a power steering pump sound like that, I was hopeful. But I took the serpentine belt off hoping it wouldn’t make the noice, but it still does. SSSsssooo... It’s the engine. I know that it has 220,000 miles on it and it’s time might have come. BUT, the thing is still a great car that runs and drives like new. Even with the noise, it still run great!!

What are your thoughts on what it could be? I suspect something in the valve train. If it is, I wonder what it could be and if it’d be worth fixing. Or is it time for to be retired and junked. I hate the thought of that!!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
791 Posts
Those V6's don't typically die that soon especially if they are meticulously maintained. I'd recommend taking it to a trusted mechanic (if you're not very mechanically savvy) or uploading a video of the noise so people can help pinpoint where the issue is coming from.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
i‘m the original owner of a 2006 Pilot EX-L that now has 220,000 miles on it. It has been meticulously maintained and is, very frankly, the best vehicle I have ever owned in my 52 years on this planet! It’s now my daughters car while she’s in college and it has started making a VERY LOUD chatter sound that sounds EXACTLY like baseball cards in bicycle spokes. It does it from idle up to about 2200 RPMs and then stops completely Whether revving it or driving it. It sounded like it was coming from the power steering pump and even though I have never heard a power steering pump sound like that, I was hopeful. But I took the serpentine belt off hoping it wouldn’t make the noice, but it still does.
When was the timing belt - and the tensioner - last changed?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Replaced with what? If it was a Gates kit, than you need to have the tensioner checked ASAP.
But before you do remove the serpentine belt and see if the chatter goes away. If it does then it is either of the tensioner/idler pulleys (they last only about 70k miles), PS pump, alternator, or AC clutch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replaced with what? If it was a Gates kit, than you need to have the tensioner checked ASAP.
But before you do remove the serpentine belt and see if the chatter goes away. If it does then it is either of the tensioner/idler pulleys (they last only about 70k miles), PS pump, alternator, or AC clutch.
I think it was a Gates kit. And I have removed the serpentine belt and it still makes the noise. And it’s REALLY REALLY loud, btw.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think it was a Gates kit. And I have removed the serpentine belt and it still makes the noise. And it’s REALLY REALLY loud, btw.
Have the timing belt tensioner replaced ASAP. I just had to replace mine (a ASIN product) after only 7000 miles. These and likely all brands of this hydraulic tensioner go bad early for some reason. This can be done without taking everything apart since you just had the timing belt done or replace it again if you prefer but the labor cost is 1/3 if you only replace the tensioner. To gain access you pull the passenger wheel off and the tensioner will be sticking out of the left side of the plastic cover. Unbolt the cover around it and gently pull the cover back which will allow you to unbolt the two 10 mm bolts. The second bolt will have tension on it and requires the wrench all the way out. To put the new one in you have to remove the top right timing belt cover to gain access to the right valve sprocket which you will see the timing belt on. Put a 17 mm ( if I remember correctly) and turn to the left just a little and this takes tension off the other side so you can put the new tensioner in. Only after you bolt it in then pull the pin. Then you can remove the ratchet and 17 mm on the top sprocket as tension will be on the belt again. Then put it all back together. This saves about 2/3 in labor cost but again it’s up to you.

·
Registered
407 Posts
+1 on the timing belt tensioner.

Mine just went Saturday and is making that noise (at 98k miles). The previous one only lasted 10k miles ('Aisin' from Amazon). I'm beginning to suspect many Aisin parts on Amazon are counterfeit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took a video with my phone. How do I post it? I’m usually pretty good with this stuff, but I’m stumped...

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
I took a video with my phone. How do I post it? I’m usually pretty good with this stuff, but I’m stumped...
Easiest is to upload to YouTube, then simply post the URL.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Here’s the link to my YouTube video of the situation. Thanks again for everyone’s help!!
Yeap, that's the exact noise I have. Not done the job yet but I've seen dozens of youtube vids with the same noise, all tensioner fails.

Awaiting parts from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input, gang! I hope you’re right. That’s a whole lot better situation than my original suspicion of something seriously wrong with something internal! I’ll order a new timing belt tensioner and cross my fingers. Thanks again!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here’s the link to my YouTube video of the situation. Thanks again for everyone’s help!!

Mother of God. That was louder than I expected. Def sounds like tensioner as aforementioned. It goes away when accelerating because it gains tension as the RPMs increase (iirc). Best of luck to you. Definitely try to do it yourself to minimize the cost to get it running properly. There's guides, some with added pics and videos, all over the internet. It's worth it imo

Reactions: jbernie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mother of God. That was louder than I expected. Def sounds like tensioner as aforementioned. It goes away when accelerating because it gains tension as the RPMs increase (iirc). Best of luck to you. Definitely try to do it yourself to minimize the cost to get it running properly. There's guides, some with added pics and videos, all over the internet. It's worth it imo
It‘s definitely a DIY situation. That job’s a piece of cake for me. Finding the time is the hardest part.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It‘s definitely a DIY situation. That job’s a piece of cake for me. Finding the time is the hardest part.
I completely feel you on that one. I'm on the same predicament with a few door lock actuators right now on our Pilot. And idk how the weather is in your neck of the woods, but here in CO we were just hit with a good winter storm and is bitter cold. NOT the kind of weather a DIYer wants to work in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts