Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to change the head gaskets on my 06 pilot awd.

On the rear head, do I have to completely take out the cat or can I just unbolt it and move it where I need to? It looks super hard to get to. What point in the process is it the easiest to take loose or off? I’ll be unbolting the exhaust of course

Do I have to remove the intermediate shaft at any point? Factory service manual says so. I’d rather not mess with the suspension to take out the axle.

if I find a leak in the front head, what are my Vegas odds that’s the only leak and I don’t have to mess with the rear 🤪

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Need to change the head gaskets on my 06 pilot awd.

On the rear head, do I have to completely take out the cat or can I just unbolt it and move it where I need to? It looks super hard to get to. What point in the process is it the easiest to take loose or off? I’ll be unbolting the exhaust of course
Do I have to remove the intermediate shaft at any point? Factory service manual says so. I’d rather not mess with the suspension to take out the axle.
Removing the intermediate shaft is so you can remove the exhaust pipe. Why do that if you can get the head off by removing the 4 bolts from the cat. No harm in trying first.
if I find a leak in the front head, what are my Vegas odds that’s the only leak and I don’t have to mess with the rear 🤪
Well, just do the front head first to see if you problem is solved.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea. Doing the whole job twice if both head gasket are blown sounds like a scary (and time consuming) ordeal. Lol.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
What happened to the head gaskets?

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Antifreeze shoots out of the radiator when I hit 3k rpm in park with the radiator cap off. I’m guessing head gasket lol.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Did you have an episode of overheating? You should check the heads for warping before you reinstall them. Machine shop can determine this, or you can use an accurate steel straightedge and feeler gauges. IMHO, if you have a head gasket leak, then you almost certainly have a warped head or block. I would encourage you to pull the heads and bring them to a machine shop to be checked.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you have an episode of overheating? You should check the heads for warping before you reinstall them. Machine shop can determine this, or you can use an accurate steel straightedge and feeler gauges. IMHO, if you have a head gasket leak, then you almost certainly have a warped head or block. I would encourage you to pull the heads and bring them to a machine shop to be checked.
I didn’t. Not sure if counterfeit spark plugs caused it or if previous owner caused it.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Antifreeze shoots out of the radiator when I hit 3k rpm in park with the radiator cap off. I’m guessing head gasket lol.
Before you jump into the head gasket job, go to an auto parts store and get a head gasket leak check kit. Make sure that you really have a leaky head gasket before all the work!

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before you jump into the head gasket job, go to an auto parts store and get a head gasket leak check kit. Make sure that you really have a leaky head gasket before all the work!
Already did that. Antifreeze comes out so fast it doesn’t work well. How does shooting coolant out of a radiator 6” when you hit the throttle not spell out head gasket lol.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've heard of a lot of blown head gasket symptoms, but coolant shooting out of a capless radiator while revving the engine is not one of them. I have seen radiators overflow quickly in this situation and I thought this was more/less normal.

Are you having any of the classic head gasket symptoms - white smoke on startup and cross contamination of coolant and engine oil? How is the engine running?

- Mark

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
A simple compression check of the cylinders would help in the diagnoses.
It must run like crap then too?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts