Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! I have a 2006 Pilot with approximately 265k miles on it. I started to get an intermittent check engine light several months ago. Sometimes this is accompanied by a the VTM-4 light, sometimes not. It was very sporadic initially, but has become pretty consistent now. I don't really see much in the way of performance impact in limited driving around town, but my gas mileage is definitely down. I ran to a local auto part store to have them read the codes and this was the result:

• 86-1 - Controller Area Network Relation Malfunction
  • 83-1 - Engine Control Module (ECM) / Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Relation Malfunction
  • 65-1 - Brake fluid low lever (have since added)
  • 61-1 - Battery Voltage Malfunction
  • P0134 - Oxygen Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected Bank 1 Sensor 1
  • P1172 - Oxygen Sensor Out of Normal Operation Range - Too Lean Bank 1 Sensor 1
I replaced both of the downstream 02 sensors a couple of years ago. I'm wondering if this problem may be as simple as trouble with the battery or alternator not outputting adequate voltage, but i haven't tested that yet and could use a bit of guidance on if that seems feasible. I'd like to work this out and get it back to tip top shape.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,929 Posts
Battery and alternator voltage are easy to test. If you don’t have a voltmeter go get the $10 multimeter from Harbor Freight or equivalent. Follow post #4 from this link:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery and alternator voltage are easy to test. If you don’t have a voltmeter go get the $10 multimeter from Harbor Freight or equivalent. Follow post #4 from this link:
For sure, and I have tested them in the past. My question was more trying to determine if it seems feasible that low voltage due to the alt or battery not being up to snuff might cause the offending codes.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,929 Posts
Low voltage can cause all sorts of weird behavior. It’d be worth the 5 minutes of your time to rule them out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts