Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2006 modifications

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  tolzercubed 
#1 ·
I've got a relatively new to me 2006 Honda pilot exl that I bought with ~110,000 miles earlier this year and sitting at 122K right now.

So far since I've bought it the only things I've done cosmetically was reattach the roof rack the owner had but had taken off.

New silicone wipers.

New brakes

Ran an aux cable from the back of the head radio unit with a y splitter cable with the nav unit (just need to drill a small hole in the bottom of the center console as I have it running through the glove box now and doesn't look very "nice"

Clean the headlights which were super yellow and put a uv coating overtop

This week put on new falken wildpeak at3 tires (stock size)

So far I have planned and already purchased:

A matte black bull bar.

2 LED off road lights.

Tape on wind guards

Some plastidip to use on the front grille and front/rear emblems. And possibly test the wheels /roof rack if I like how the other stuff comes out to see if I like the full black before spending cash on new wheels and bigger roof rack as well or sticking with the oem ones.

Removing the running boards as I don't have any use for them.

Nothing really major planned. I don't need it to be super capable, but I drive a lot of shitty roads and almost every day hit non paved roads. As well as just some ease for dispersed camping sites and the constantly shitty weather.

Don't have a true before picture from when I bought it, but that's the current state of it right now. I'll try to update as I go along one by one with everything.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#6 ·
#4 ·
What about under the hood?
Timing belt, water pump, spark plugs etc etc
Yeah, that too. :)

OTOH, he was asking about mods, so I assumed he had the nuts and bolts covered.

#7 ·
Got the front grille and Honda emblem done. It's hard to tell because the sun was shining directly on the car and I, but it now matches the lower plastic trim the pilot has maybe a tad darker due to not being faded.

The rear pilot emblem I made a little darker, just have to put some new 3m tape on with it.

The rear Honda emblem is a pita. Hard to get a good job done while it's attached and it's annoying to try and get it off. Had the entire rear trim off the back door and still looks like there were plenty of nuts and bolts to unscrew to get the license plate body section separated. Diagram of the components is a bit hard to follow and no videos were found online so I'll have to mess around more with it later.

Attachments

#9 ·
The rear Honda emblem is a pita. Hard to get a good job done while it's attached and it's annoying to try and get it off. Had the entire rear trim off the back door and still looks like there were plenty of nuts and bolts to unscrew to get the license plate body section separated. Diagram of the components is a bit hard to follow and no videos were found online so I'll have to mess around more with it later.

Did you paint the front grille while it was still attached on the vehicle ? or, did you remove grill and paint it ?

#10 ·
I tried a similar product called protect dip to paint my grill for the first time, it didn't last especially since I drive highway often. Hitting bugs and rocks at 110 kph would penetrate it and when I go to pressure wash them off, it would start peeling from where its been damaged. I used truck bed liner second time, it has a nice texture and much more durable. No issues with bugs or rocks damaging it so far.

#11 ·
Removing the running boards as I don't have any use for them.
I'm not sure whether it would be cost effective to do depending upon where you live (I'm in the Monterey, California area), but would you be interested in selling them? I appreciate the aesthetics, and my wife is a care-giver, so it would help some of her clients being able to get in and out of the vehicle that much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.