Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 245,000 miles on our 2006 and it's been a very reliable vehicle. Over the past few years I have replaced the starter and alternator, but otherwise it has just required routine maintenance. My son recently reported an awful front end noise, which turned out to be a broken sway bar link. I replaced it, and while I was at it I replaced a bad wheel bearing on the same side (driver's side). Of course, while I had it apart I decided to replace the brakes, bushings, and ball joint so I thought everything was good. I took it off the stands and the next day I started it up.

I hadn't noticed that I must have blown a seal while reassembling everything and the floor was covered in ATF. It sounded like someone threw a handful of ball bearings into the transmission. I replaced the ATF and now it doesn't know which gear it is in (it rolls in Park). When I shift into Park I get the death rattle.

Where do I begin? The engine and tranny were solid before this brain lapse, and now that I've done the suspension (and front rotors, pads, and calipers, and recently replaced the timing belt) I would like to see if I can get it back on the road but transmissions are one area where I have zero expertise.

TIA - Adrian

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
We have 245,000 miles on our 2006 and it's been a very reliable vehicle. Over the past few years I have replaced the starter and alternator, but otherwise it has just required routine maintenance. My son recently reported an awful front end noise, which turned out to be a broken sway bar link. I replaced it, and while I was at it I replaced a bad wheel bearing on the same side (driver's side). Of course, while I had it apart I decided to replace the brakes, bushings, and ball joint so I thought everything was good. I took it off the stands and the next day I started it up.

I hadn't noticed that I must have blown a seal while reassembling everything and the floor was covered in ATF. It sounded like someone threw a handful of ball bearings into the transmission. I replaced the ATF and now it doesn't know which gear it is in (it rolls in Park). When I shift into Park I get the death rattle.

Where do I begin? The engine and tranny were solid before this brain lapse, and now that I've done the suspension (and front rotors, pads, and calipers, and recently replaced the timing belt) I would like to see if I can get it back on the road but transmissions are one area where I have zero expertise.

TIA - Adrian
In your repair, is it possible your CV axle was pulled out of the transmission. May need to be reinserted. This would explain the ATF leak.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will check that out. I assume that I must have pulled it out during the process, but I'm not sure if I could have reinserted it improperly. I'll look for some references because it could easily have been inserted wrong if that's possible.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I hadn't noticed that I must have blown a seal while reassembling everything and the floor was covered in ATF. It sounded like someone threw a handful of ball bearings into the transmission. I replaced the ATF and now it doesn't know which gear it is in (it rolls in Park). When I shift into Park I get the death rattle
Hopefully you will find the CV axle to be the issue rather than the transmission. Since there was no movement of the Pilot the damage should be limited to the seal and CV axle. @245K the CV axles may have been due for replacement.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Hopefully you will find the CV axle to be the issue rather than the transmission. Since there was no movement of the Pilot the damage should be limited to the seal and CV axle. @245K the CV axles may have been due for replacement.
Only time I've ever pull a CV axle is to put in a new one. In this case, is the seal ruined and can not be reinserted?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Only time I've ever pull a CV axle is to put in a new one. In this case, is the seal ruined and can not be reinserted?
Think it could be more challenging to reassemble the joint within the boot while on the vehicle if that’s what fell apart. If the CV axle got pulled out of the trans thus making the noise then the seal might have damage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone who contributed - it was indeed the CV axle, which I must have pulled out when wrangling the knuckle. It was pulled out slightly causing the leak and the sound of splines not quite engaging. I pulled the axle completely and the splines were fine, so I carefully reinserted it into the transmission - and made sure it was in fully - and then put everything back together. The seal looked fine. There was some wear where the spline had not quite engaged but it all works now and there is no sign of slipping. And with the new suspension parts and bushings, it is smoother than it's been in years. Last week I was ready to part it out or blow it up, now I'm planning to get another 100,000 miles out of it.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh, I just realized that I signed in with Facebook and it's using my blue hair profile pic. When I'm not writing about artificial intelligence or maintaining old cars, I manage an 18 year old pop singer who thought I needed a new look. Check out www.madisonvandenburg.com - she made the Top 3 on American Idol last year but she still hasn't convinced me to dye my hair. that's just photoshop

1 - 8 of 8 Posts