Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all new here. Check engine light came on after work few days ago. Car has 156k miles. Vtm-4 and cel came on at the same time. When I went to start it the next day. Vtm-4 light was off. Cel still on.
Ran codes. Misfire on all cylinders plus random misfire. Car still running perfectly fine no stuttering that Iv noticed.

cleared code. Didn’t come back for 80 miles. Ran codes again. Same codes.

Any ideas? I’m stumped the car runs the same it always has. Any help would be much appreciated thanks guys

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Hi all new here. Check engine light came on after work few days ago. Car has 156k miles. Vtm-4 and cel came on at the same time. When I went to start it the next day. Vtm-4 light was off. Cel still on.
Ran codes. Misfire on all cylinders plus random misfire. Car still running perfectly fine no stuttering that Iv noticed.

Any ideas? I’m stumped the car runs the same it always has. Any help would be much appreciated thanks guys
Hello,
Do you know the maintenance history of the vehicle?
Timing belt water pump job done at 100k?
Air filter New/Clean?
Air intake tube is crack free, clamps tight?
Spark plugs New/Clean?
No oil in any of the spark plug tubes?
All coils firing, not oil soaked?
PCV valve replaced?

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. We’ve owned the car since it was new. Timing belt was done after 100k water pump, starter was replaced recently. Just had an oil change last week. Car is my daily. Hasn’t driven any different since the light came on. Gas mileage still good and all power is still there

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Thanks for the reply. We’ve owned the car since it was new. Timing belt was done after 100k water pump, starter was replaced recently. Just had an oil change last week. Car is my daily. Hasn’t driven any different since the light came on. Gas mileage still good and all power is still there
Any of the other maintenance items above heen done? Especially the spark plugs. A new set of NGK Laser Iridiums?

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Deank123
I have a 2005 EXL with 150,000 miles also. This happened with me, too. First it was the emissions light, then the VTM-4 light. Not consistent in if or when they would come on, or if individually or together.
i took it to the dealership to have it checked out. They told me that it was running lean because I had bad gasoline. Took a sample to confirm. This made no sense to me as there was no chugging, hesitating during acceleration, or tough starts. And, if bad gas, the lights would be on all the time, and I still don’t see how VTM-4 light has anything to do with lean gas burn.
They wanted to pull the gas tank, clean injectors, etc, to the tune of $1300.00. Now, let me say that this dealership has been spot on with repairs, and I am happy with my rep (who has been there, and with me, for 12 years), and they work fast.
However, I disagreed and decided to run high octane gas, plus dry gas supplement, for a few tanks to flush out this alleged issue, which I don’t believe it is. I’m through 2 tanks. I drove it on the highway for 200 miles with no lights coming on, got back home, fired it up, and the lights are back……….sometimes.
So, I’m not going to say I’m glad somebody else has this problem, cuz it sucks, but it is good to see that this is not a one off on my end, and that it might be an issue that is now popping up in these vehicles.
I have no solution yet, but will do some more digging, and will most likely go back to the dealership once I have more info, and see if I can find the smarter person in the room.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
@Deank123
I have a 2005 EXL with 150,000 miles also. This happened with me, too. First it was the emissions light, then the VTM-4 light. Not consistent in if or when they would come on, or if individually or together.
i took it to the dealership to have it checked out. They told me that it was running lean because I had bad gasoline. Took a sample to confirm. This made no sense to me as there was no chugging, hesitating during acceleration, or tough starts. And, if bad gas, the lights would be on all the time, and I still don’t see how VTM-4 light has anything to do with lean gas burn.
They wanted to pull the gas tank, clean injectors, etc, to the tune of $1300.00. Now, let me say that this dealership has been spot on with repairs, and I am happy with my rep (who has been there, and with me, for 12 years), and they work fast.
However, I disagreed and decided to run high octane gas, plus dry gas supplement, for a few tanks to flush out this alleged issue, which I don’t believe it is. I’m through 2 tanks. I drove it on the highway for 200 miles with no lights coming on, got back home, fired it up, and the lights are back……….sometimes.
So, I’m not going to say I’m glad somebody else has this problem, cuz it sucks, but it is good to see that this is not a one off on my end, and that it might be an issue that is now popping up in these vehicles.
I have no solution yet, but will do some more digging, and will most likely go back to the dealership once I have more info, and see if I can find the smarter person in the room.
I'd ask the same questions I posted above, where are you at on some of the general maintenance items I've listed above?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have kept up with maintenance with the car; 100,000 mile, and took it back at 156,000, and as issues arise. no valve adjustments.
Rear Shock absorber boot on both sides with new bump stops and spring seats, and a new key cut as the others were cracked. Everything else checked out nicely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@xGS.
I read that post about exhaust valves. I’ll keep it in mind if my solution doesn’t play out.
i also found I was speaking incorrectly about VTM-4 light. Has nothing to do with the CEL, just saying I can’t use VTM while the issue is happening.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
Man, I need to leave that handy copy 'n' paste list on my desktop, at the standby for quick deployment. :)

Hello,
Do you know the maintenance history of the vehicle?
Timing belt water pump job done at 100k?
Air filter New/Clean?
Air intake tube is crack free, clamps tight?
Spark plugs New/Clean?
No oil in any of the spark plug tubes?
All coils firing, not oil soaked?
PCV valve replaced?

Start with the easy ones, like the cracked air intake tube. Crack could be in the middle or could be on the left side under or near the big hose clamp.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I also have ‘05 Pilot EXL. Those same lights, Vtm-4 and CEL, came on at about 200k. Timing belt replaced, regular oil changes, starter and alternator replaced. No tune-up ever because our mechanic said it wasn’t needed since car continues to drive as it always has. He’s stumped as to what it can be as are we. We need to get it smog get this year and we’re worried it won’t pass because of those lights. Considering having tune-up done as this may be the cheapest route. Other options we’ve been given are to replace catalytic converters; it has 3 and they are all over $500 apiece.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
Other options we’ve been given are to replace catalytic converters; it has 3 and they are all over $500 apiece.
If it comes to that, get some for substantially cheaper here...

2005 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Catalytic Converter | RockAuto

And even after three posts, you're entitled to the Piloteers 5% discount. :)

5% Discount Code: 6E3EAFAFB9DB15
Expires: August 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I also have ‘05 Pilot EXL. Those same lights, Vtm-4 and CEL, came on at about 200k. Timing belt replaced, regular oil changes, starter and alternator replaced. No tune-up ever because our mechanic said it wasn’t needed since car continues to drive as it always has. He’s stumped as to what it can be as are we. We need to get it smog get this year and we’re worried it won’t pass because of those lights. Considering having tune-up done as this may be the cheapest route. Other options we’ve been given are to replace catalytic converters; it has 3 and they are all over $500 apiece.
Not sure if your saying your mechanic doesn't think this engine ever needs a new set of NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs or a PCV valve replaced, but I know the manual recommends changing the spark plugs at 100k miles. Changing the PCV valve is from experience. They get clogged with old oil deposits and no longer function properly. When changing the spark plugs, examine the tubes for any engine oil that may be leaking in through the tube seals. If oil is present, it's time to replace the valve cover gaskets grommets and spark plug tube seals (I recommend replacing the intake manifold gasket when replacing the valve cover gaskets).
It is common to find the air intake tube cracked on these 1st generation Pilots. They become brittle with age. They are often cracked when installing a new air filter. These need to be replaced or your engine will suck in dust through the crack instead of filtered air. If it is discovered to have been like this, a throttle body cleaning may be needed.

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 13 of 13 Posts