Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new here... I have a 2006 Honda Pilot with the rear entertainment and DVD player. I don't have navigation. I would like to upgrade to an android auto or some sort of head unit. Does anyone have any info how to do so that would have a wire harness to include the entertainment in the back and also tie in the steering wheel controls? Any help would be great! Thanks!

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,331 Posts
Pleas go look in the audio section. Plenty of threads there with people updating their first gens. eg look for a thread by Edog. Look at threads adding pioneer avic units etc

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would argue that considering how different are different year models, audio discussions belong in year-specific forums.
You can take a look at my suggestions here in this thread:
Pretty much everything I said there, applies to you as well.

The rear system is a problem, That rear unit is really designed to work with factory head. I am not even sure if it can function independently or work with an aftermarket head. I am about 90% certain if you upgrade the head, you will render the rear system inert. Now if you REALLY want a rear system, you can go aftermarket there as well. Many higher end heads have HDMI inputs/outputs to work with HDMI overhead screens. Honda '06 screen is a real old piece of tech, fed by a standard definition composite signal.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scorrpio, thank you for your feedback! This is what I was looking to confirm. I don't want to spend a bunch of money and replace everything. I was hoping to just replace the head unit and keep everything operational. I love my Pilot but it has 215,000 miles on it so I'm keeping upgrades minimal cost.. Thanks again for you feedback and help! Also, I agree with you 100%, just because this is the 1st gen doesn't mean it's all exactly the same. Since this is a 2006, it should be like a 1.5 gen. I like my head and tail lights better than the earlier 1st gens :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Scorrpio, thank you for your feedback! This is what I was looking to confirm. I don't want to spend a bunch of money and replace everything. I was hoping to just replace the head unit and keep everything operational. I love my Pilot but it has 215,000 miles on it so I'm keeping upgrades minimal cost.. Thanks again for you feedback and help! Also, I agree with you 100%, just because this is the 1st gen doesn't mean it's all exactly the same. Since this is a 2006, it should be like a 1.5 gen. I like my head and tail lights better than the earlier 1st gens :)
Just be careful if you do the upgrade. I just did mine and it all came out great, I actually have a new amp powering all my speakers and a new subwoofer I added in. I cannot use the key fob anymore at all. I cant even reprogram anything, and apparently im reading that the fob is connected to a harness that plugs into the factory radio, so once you replace the radio it quits. Im looking for a way to fix this and tap the key fob wiring into the new wires, but its been hard. Just wanted to give you an FYI. Good luck installing though, my new system is all Rockford Fosgate and sounds amazing!

·
Registered
750 Posts
That's a weird one. Sounds like something got pulled or disconnected during audio installation. There is no electrical dependency between audio system and key fob. Look where the receiver module is and work from there. Definitely had no key issues when I replaced audio on my old 2007 Pilot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts