Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! my 2006 pilot with 146k on it wouldnt start couple days ago. No crank at all. I check the battery and it was fine. Tried giving it a jump and no crank either. I let it sit for a day and the next day it wouldnt do anything either. I kept turning the key over and over again and finally it started. Not sure if it's the starter or something else. I think the starter is going out. i recorded a video if someone can hear this wierd sound and tell me it's the starter i can replace that.
thanks,

Here's the link to the video.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
I'd say your intuition is spot on. Bad starter.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
Welcome and thanks for registering at piloteers.org. We are glad you have chosen to be part of the community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

When you say you checked the battery how was this done? A multi meter or a load test? I suspect that it is the starter, but it would be a shame to put in a new starter only to find out the battery was the culprit.

Please take a moment to look over the FAQ section. If you need assistance please use the “message” function to contact any staff member.

If you haven’t already, don’t forget to register at the Honda Owners web site. It is full of information you may find useful about your particular Honda vehicle(s).

Enjoy and all the best,

Daltongang

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Have battery tested at autozone. Confirm it’s good. If it’s close to 5 years old replace it. If it’s ok move to starter. I used a DB electrical starter and it’s been great.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Your started does sound powerful though so I would check all connections and grounds. Run some sand paper around the battery terminals and inside the wire portions as well.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
If you have a voltmeter you can measure voltage at the starter battery positive connection and at the solenoid when you try cranking the engine. If you get no voltage at the solenoid it could be the starter relay going bad. There will be some voltage drop at the starter battery positive terminal; I believe somewhere in the 9vdc range while the starter is cranking is acceptable.

From the sound of the starter in your video it doesn’t appear the starter is laboring like mine was when it was on its last leg.

And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the battery with a multimeter and it was at 12.7 and once started and turned off it had rises to 13.6. So I know the battery and alternator were fine. It has been starting fine without any issue but I don’t want to be stranded somewhere if it decides not to start again. The only thing I noticed was that weird sound by the starter so I was thinking maybe the starter was going out. The battery terminals also I cleaned with sandpaper and the battery is about 2 years old.
Thank you

·
Registered
955 Posts
Check both cables (+ and ground) at both ends. Sometimes the ground cable can corrode near the connection to the body.

That said, I suspect that it's the starter. If you click forever, and finally get the starter to turn, that's a classic symptom of worn out contacts in the solenoid. Get a good rebuilt starter and move on.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
From section 4-6 (Page 52/2569) of the 06-08 Service Manual you can download in the sticky for this section.

Good luck (y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts