Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My buddy's 06 Pilot with around 165k on the clock has a condition where it will accelerate and drive normally under 20 or 30mph AND under 3k rpms; but once it hits either (i think in either 2nd/3rd gear), it will stop accelerating, the gas pedal goes unresponsive (unless you decelerate - then the car will again drive normally under the mph/rpm limit; but flooring it does nothing), and the car shunts/shakes as it continues forward.

I put my timing light on a plug as we drove and the ignition never cut out; and the car does not die or stall during the condition. it just won't rev above 3k rpm and 20 or 30mph. this is all in D.

the car currently has a check engine light and a VSA fault light on.

Any tips on more diag to run would be super helpful.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
248 Posts
Hi all,

My buddy's 06 Pilot with around 165k on the clock has a condition where it will accelerate and drive normally under 20 or 30mph AND under 3k rpms; but once it hits either (i think in either 2nd/3rd gear), it will stop accelerating, the gas pedal goes unresponsive (unless you decelerate - then the car will again drive normally under the mph/rpm limit; but flooring it does nothing), and the car shunts/shakes as it continues forward.

I put my timing light on a plug as we drove and the ignition never cut out; and the car does not die or stall during the condition. it just won't rev above 3k rpm and 20 or 30mph. this is all in D.

the car currently has a check engine light and a VSA fault light on.

Any tips on more diag to run would be super helpful.
Knowing what the code is that is causing the check engine light would be a good first step. The computer is telling you something is wrong. It might be your solution!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
And just for the record, VSA MIL doesn't only come on for a VSA problem. It often shows that the Pilot has disabled the VSA pending getting some other problem getting fixed.

So yeah, let's start by pulling those codes.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Most major auto parts store will scan the vehicle to get codes for free.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the car is throwing code P0344, 'camshaft position sensor A circuit intermittent, 1 or single sensor'. i need to research more, but there is a rattling noise in the bay that indicates to me a possible sensor fault. however, my friend said the car has driven normally since I last looked at it, about a week ago. is there a way to test the sensor with a meter? otherwise I may need to do a pin-out of the PCM to confirm the wiring to/from the sensor is not the fault.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bump just to ask if there's any good guide or procedures to follow when determining if it the wiring to/from the sensor or the sensor itself.

I assume there are 2 CMP sensors since it's a V6 engine, but most of the ltierature I am looking at only indicates one. Is that right?

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
bump just to ask if there's any good guide or procedures to follow when determining if it the wiring to/from the sensor or the sensor itself.

I assume there are 2 CMP sensors since it's a V6 engine, but most of the ltierature I am looking at only indicates one. Is that right?
There is only 1 Crankshaft Position Sensor that I know of.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
There is also a camshaft position sensor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
perfect, cool. thanks! yeah the code indicates intermittent signal from cam sensor. but there is a rattling noise in the engine that makes me worried about something else... i dont think the itnermittent sensor would cause that.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
These kinds of symptoms scare me. Have you checked the timing belt?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here's a video to the sound:

doesn't sound like a timing belt guide/tensioner, as it sounds like it's coming from the rear cylinder head moreso than the timing belt. but i'm not an expert on these cars, so I defer to any of yall with more knowledge than me.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Is the sound rapidly clipping for anyone else? The unintelligible voice is the most obvious giveaway, and so it's impossible to hear the actual problem sound correctly.

Can it be recorded again with better sound?

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
All I know is I wouldn't drive it until I knew if further damage was being caused. Has the engine mount test been performed? Does the noise go away at higher rpms?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
@plplplpl, the clipping noise may be the motor rattling itself, it sort of sounds like the old baseball card in a bicycle spoke.

@Nail Grease, i will have to test and get back on the motor mounts. i do not think the noise goes away at higher RPMs, but occasionally goes away at lower RPMs.

thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
it's the hydraulic tensioner:

I put my hand on it and it was vibrating like mad. Motor mounts are good on the vehicle as well.

my question is: the recommended spec for the timing belt and related components is 7yrs/105k miles. the vehicle is question has 160k miles on it and he says he had the timing belt done within the last few years. so i wonder if it's possible to replace only the failing hydraulic tensioner, or if doing all the related components would be easier anyway?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Remove the front cam t belt cover and check the cmp sensor. Sounds like the cam thrust out of spec an causing the cmp to touch the sprocket.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
my question is: the recommended spec for the timing belt and related components is 7yrs/105k miles. the vehicle is question has 160k miles on it and he says he had the timing belt done within the last few years.
Besides his word, do you have the service records? What timing belt kit was used? Aisin (y), Gates (n), or something else?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
he's just going from memory. my best guess is that whoever did the job previously used low-quality parts and/or didn't replace the hydraulic tensioner.

in any case, i offered to do the job for him and replace all the timing components components plus the cam sensor, which is throwing the P0334 code again.

which kit do you recommend? NOT gates?

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
he's just going from memory. my best guess is that whoever did the job previously used low-quality parts and/or didn't replace the hydraulic tensioner.

in any case, i offered to do the job for him and replace all the timing components components plus the cam sensor, which is throwing the P0334 code again.

which kit do you recommend? NOT gates?
The most recommended TB WP kit is Aisin. I've used it for years on multiple vehicles with no issues.

I normally buy from @RockAuto , but they have recently had a price increase plus you must pay shipping.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts