Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2006 Pilot since our second kid is almost here and we have two dogs we like to take to parks with us as well! Loving it so far.

Been thinking about upgrading the stock radio to something with an aux port and USB port on the front with Bluetooth capability like I have done with all of my previous cars.

After reading forums on here for a couple days trying to figure out anything I need to know about this the only concrete thing I feel like I’ve figured out was that I will lose power to the factory subwoofer in the rear.

I have navigation and have seen some people say I will lose navigation if I replace the factory head unit, I have seen some say I will just lose the voice functions of the navigation, someone else said I will lose functionality of the ANC (automatic noise canceling) (not sure if 2006 model even had this or not).

I am trying to get a solid answer on if I will lose navigation or not with replacement of the radio head unit. If I will lose it what are some other options for at the least getting Bluetooth capability to play music?

I have an AUX button (AUX only not XM/AUX like I’ve seen some people say they have) but have not seen a port anywhere so I’m assuming it is on the back of the unit.

Glad to see I got a vehicle with an active forum for people to communicate on! Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome @Treybo31 ...check out offerings from Crutchfield.com as they have a reputation for knowing what fits and provide technical assistance, trim plates and adapters. Subscribed to what you discover that works and I’m sure other first gen Pilot owners will be interested.
Crutchfield is definitely great they’ve been who I always used but figured I should check some forums first to see if anyone has had any problems and was surprised to see so many different types of things mentioned! Will definitely keep looking around and update anything I do and how it works!

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 186,000 miles
126 Posts
I replaced my headunit a few months ago, and I have factory navigation too. Honestly at this point the nav system is so outdated and hard to use, it’s useless. I’d recommend a headunit with apple car play or android auto to solve the navigation issue! Mine works perfectly, I love it!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced my headunit a few months ago, and I have factory navigation too. Honestly at this point the nav system is so outdated and hard to use, it’s useless. I’d recommend a headunit with apple car play or android auto to solve the navigation issue! Mine works perfectly, I love it!
Did you get one with CarPlay? If you did, did you put it in the place the nav screen was in or just the same as the factory radio? Feels like I wouldn’t like having to look down there for navigation directions.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah CarPlay. And I’ve had someone else ask me why I didn’t replace the factory nav screen and put my headunit there. But using the controls for the radio, switching songs, and setting my nav destination would be weird reaching so far forward to reach where the nav screen is. And it’s tilted back which makes it weirder. So I put it in the factory location. It’s really comfortable, and it doesn’t bother me looking down to see the navigation.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah CarPlay. And I’ve had someone else ask me why I didn’t replace the factory nav screen and put my headunit there. But using the controls for the radio, switching songs, and setting my nav destination would be weird reaching so far forward to reach where the nav screen is. And it’s tilted back which makes it weirder. So I put it in the factory location. It’s really comfortable, and it doesn’t bother me looking down to see the navigation.
Do you happen to have the link to which one you got?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can you post a picture for inspiration?

I'm in the same boat. I never use the factory NAV - always my iPhone. I've used Carplay on some rental cars and it was awesome.

Does anyone know what the DVD unit under the passenger seat does? I think it just holds the DVD for the NAV, right?

·
Registered
126 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I never use the factory NAV - always my iPhone. I've used Carplay on some rental cars and it was awesome.

Does anyone know what the DVD unit under the passenger seat does? I think it just holds the DVD for the NAV, right?
yes I can give me a few. And that is the nav driver. It is what the screen pulls all the info from. I removed it, had my brother make a mounting bracket utilizing the factory bolt holes and mounted my 4 channel amp there. The nav screen never turns on now. It used to power up everytime during startup and I hated it lol

·
Registered
126 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Gotta be honest, I think that's too low for a navigation screen and potentially unsafe.

Just calliing it like I (barely) see it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That video above is great. It made me remember the backup cam. An upgrade would be very nice.

Depleted Islet, thanks for posting the pics!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yes fr
Look at the dash kit he uses and theres some good information as well. Good job on the install.
Great video! Wife and I would definitely prefer for the upgraded unit to be in the higher up Navigation location if we are going to use it for directions.

Making sure to get a unit with Apple CarPlay also is a great point so I wouldn’t have to worry about what happens to the stock navigation during the upgrade.

My only concern with the video is if I can still use the OEM backup camera plug and play into a new unit or will I have to redo some wiring? They installed an entirely new camera so all new wires and new connections. Just wondering if there are any units that the factory backup camera could plug in to and use without having to do any wiring!

Hopefully will have a plan set by the end of the week on what we want to do set up wise! Will make sure to get pictures before/during/after and explain anything I run in to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes fr

Great video! Wife and I would definitely prefer for the upgraded unit to be in the higher up Navigation location if we are going to use it for directions.

Making sure to get a unit with Apple CarPlay also is a great point so I wouldn’t have to worry about what happens to the stock navigation during the upgrade.

My only concern with the video is if I can still use the OEM backup camera plug and play into a new unit or will I have to redo some wiring? They installed an entirely new camera so all new wires and new connections. Just wondering if there are any units that the factory backup camera could plug in to and use without having to do any wiring!

Hopefully will have a plan set by the end of the week on what we want to do set up wise! Will make sure to get pictures before/during/after and explain anything I run in to.
For most factory camera to aftermarket headunit connections there is a interface. They changed the camera to update the camera and relocate from the original position for a better view angle. I believe you can still use your factory camera and leave it in the stock location.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just had a chat with someone from Crutchfield and he says that no matter which radio/media unit I went with they do not have an adapter or harness that allows me to keep the functionality of the factory backup camera and I would have to install a new aftermarket camera. Has anyone seen posts on here of people being able to keep their factory camera operating when replacing the navigation screen with a new unit? Seems odd there would not be a way to keep that feature functioning.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just had a chat with someone from Crutchfield and he says that no matter which radio/media unit I went with they do not have an adapter or harness that allows me to keep the functionality of the factory backup camera and I would have to install a new aftermarket camera. Has anyone seen posts on here of people being able to keep their factory camera operating when replacing the navigation screen with a new unit? Seems odd there would not be a way to keep that feature functioning.
Was especially strange to me because he mentioned that the units I was looking at recognized when you went into reverse and would mute the music and have the input for aftermarket backup camera available.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have replaced radio in my old Pilot 2007 EX. It did not have factiory navigation, but a regular double DIN head will fit very well where you presently got your Nav screen. In your case, you got a nav unit up top and an audio unit below. I would look for a storage pocket from EX to put in place of the audio unit and swap out the Nav unit for new head.

Sure, you will lose factory navigation, but it is next to useless anyway compared to Carplay/Android Auto.
Pretty much any double DIN unit will fit your car. Don't forget a steering wheel controls adapter. (IMHO, iDataLink Maestro is best)

About camera: implementation is highly dependent of which head unit you get. My '07 Pilot did not have factory camera, so I put in an aftermarket one. The head unit I got was a Pioneer which did not have a 'reverse signal' wire. It simply sensed when there was input signal from camera and displayed the image. I ran a wire from reverse lights to power the camera. So whenever reverse lights were on, camera would turn on and send signal. That is one way, not sure if it will work with factory camera.

In my '13 Pilot, I put in an Alpine head. This one actually has a reverse wire - you can tap a wire going to reverse lights from under-dash fuse box - and id has a connector for Alpine camera, which provides power. Pilot factory camera in '13 gets 8V. Alpine provides 6V, but it powers the camera fine. So in my case, factory camera works quite well. Benefit of this setup is I can turn on rear camera anytime I need, not just when in reverse. Once you decide on which head you want, you can explore the camera option in more detail.

Rear sub is only 50W. You can get a small amp for it, and probably power it from the same power connection as the head unit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts