Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum. 2006 Honda Pilot, all original.. even my timing belt. 245k miles. Starts rough, have to warm it up and then when I put it in gear it dies. VSA light comes on (I have about 4 lights on now). Mechanic replaced solenoid and battery.. but I'm thinking it may be the EGR valve? or VSA module?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
You have 245k miles on the timing belt? If that's true, I would not even be trying to start it. All else wrong with the vehicle doesn't matter.
The advice would be to immediately have the timing belt water pump job done in place or tow to the nearest shop.

Reactions: STMech

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's true.. original timing belt. If the car has a hard time starting and idles rough, that's job #1. It drives fine once it's warmed up.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
It's true.. original timing belt. If the car has a hard time starting and idles rough, that's job #1. It drives fine once it's warmed up.
Its likely running rough because the belt is stretched, holding on to one last thread.

I would not even try to crank it. If it breaks, the engine is toast.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
New to this forum. 2006 Honda Pilot, all original.. even my timing belt. 245k miles. Starts rough, have to warm it up and then when I put it in gear it dies. VSA light comes on (I have about 4 lights on now). Mechanic replaced solenoid and battery.. but I'm thinking it may be the EGR valve? or VSA module?
If you have 245k miles on the timing belt, count your blessings it won't stay running.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
Time to chose.. Sell as is or start to put money into is starting with timing belt, water pump accessory belt, tensioners. Please tell us you have changed the spark plugs and oils!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has the valve clearance ever been checked/adjusted?
No.. the valves have never been worked on, ever? This is something that should be done every 50K, right? I think that's next. The "mechanic" replaced a solenoid and the battery and spark plugs as the "fix".. going to go dispute that now and go get my car. My car is running worse than ever.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
No.. the valves have never been worked on, ever? This is something that should be done every 50K, right? I think that's next. The "mechanic" replaced a solenoid and the battery and spark plugs as the "fix".. going to go dispute that now and go get my car. My car is running worse than ever.
Valve clearance inspection/adjustment is typically due about every 105K-miles (or 7-years) - same schedule as for the timing belt replacement and spark plug replacement.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
While you're at it, get the PCV valve replaced. It's very inexpensive and it often helps a lot. Ask your mechanic to inspect the old one when it comes out and post results here.

And light a votive candle to Saint Jude and/or buy a lottery ticket. :)

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
279 Posts
Starts rough, have to warm it up and then when I put it in gear it dies. VSA light comes on (I have about 4 lights on now).
what other 3 "lights" are on besides the VSA? I know when my alternator crapped out it triggered a bunch of dashboard warning lights while I was driving one day which also caused the vehicle to behave and run very rough. not sure about why the engine would die when shifting out of park other than the transmission is locking up and not allowing the torque converter to slip properly. I'm not sure why everyone else on here is recommending timing belt and a valve adjustment as the first course of action. Worry about those other things after you figure out the warning lights.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I'm not sure why everyone else on here is recommending timing belt and a valve adjustment as the first course of action. Worry about those other things after you figure out the warning lights.
I agree to not worry about a valve adjustment at this time, but the OP is backed into a corner on this vehicle with an extremely worn timing belt. If I were working on this vehicle for a friend, I'm not starting the vehicle. I'd figure out what maintenance hasn't been done while the Aisin TKH002 kit was on the way along with a new set of spark plugs and air filter. Get the codes without starting the vehicle. Replace any sensors related to the codes. That's it. Negative battery terminal disconnect and key locked in my tool box until parts arrive.

Reactions: Rocky and aggrex
1 - 15 of 15 Posts