Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Can valves out of adjustment effect vtm4

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I’m not only new to this forum but I’m a newly converted Honda guy. I have recently sold my ram and caravan and bought:
09 fit 150k kilometres
08 Ridgeline 440k kilometres
06 Pilot 307k kilometres

however even tho the pilot had issues I still bough it thinking they would be an easy fix. 4 months later I’m still scratching my head and more determined to resolve it now.

the problems are with the 2006 pilot with 307,500kms.
1-cold start ups rough and until it warms up it will stall before moving. Once car is warm and in closed loop (I believe) runs great but slugs from a stop when accelerating. It is throwing codes p0172 and p0175 all burning rich bank 2. For this issue I have replaced the map sensor. clean air intake. Air filter. Spark plugs. And checked for other vacuum leaks.

2- dash resembles a Christmas tree. Vtm4 traction.... you name it it’s on. These light are never off. For this I have tried abs speed sensors in the front. Changed the batterie.

I currently believe that the valves need to be adjusted but have to ask. Can the valves effect the vtm4 system ?

sorry for the long post and I greatly appreciate any advice .

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,300 Posts
Very possibly your valves are due for an adjustment.

However, a couple of simpler things to check and do first:
  1. Replace PCV valve.
  2. Replace EGR valve or clean it along with the EGR ports and passages.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Vtm4 comes on when check engine comes on so probably has no vtm4 issues.

A car of this age will need major mechanical adjustments. You need to adjust the valves first. Map sensor wouldn’t be the problem. You need to change the plugs. I would check the compression of the engine or leak down test it to see how much compression is left. Check the basics like replacing pcv valve and engine coils. Clean out the egr port by removing the egr port and blowing air into it to remove any soot. The o2 sensors are probably on their last legs. The cats are probably ruined at this point so ensure they aren’t blocked.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
You can buy a Honda specific scanner like a Foxwell NT510 Honda edition and you can read all the codes and clear all you like.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
The video posted to clean the ports applies to 04 and 05. Not 2006 models. You can check it but more than likely won’t appear like it does in the video.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
The video posted to clean the ports applies to 04 and 05. Not 2006 models. You can check it but more than likely won’t appear like it does in the video.
Couldn't find a video for 2006-2008 Pilots. What would you say are the most significant differences? Is it closer to this 2004-2008 Acura?

For a Foxwell scanner, I'd recommend the Foxwell NT630 Plus version. Does more.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Have you noticed any oil in the spark plug tubes? This can cause issues.

Reactions: HondaDad04

·
Read Only
293 Posts
I have a 510N and it does everything including reading transmission codes, I've also reset the VSA and read every code that's ever been needed, it's also way cheaper.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I have a 510N and it does everything including reading transmission codes, I've also reset the VSA and read every code that's ever been needed, it's also way cheaper.
Resets VSA, too? OK, good to know. Adding that to the knowledge bank. (y)

But the NT630 Plus does that too, and is in fact cheaper.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
By 220,000 miles I had replaced a Cat and the EGR. Plus in a moment of good housekeeping cleaned the EGR and pcv systems which on my car were quite clean thanks to my constant longer drives. Cars that do short trips all the time clog up their systems quickly.
I assume that your battery and charging system are in good health. As my Pilot got older it became less electronically reliable especially in damp or cold weather. The VTM Christmas tree lit up with almost predictable regularity especially in cold temps. The Alarm would go off in wet weather.
Also assume the timing belt and plugs have been replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey everyone. It’s been some time. I have replaced the egr and cleaned all the ports I have changed the pvc and plugs. Battery and Altanator are in great health. All the vtm issues are resolved by replacing all 4 abs speed sensors. However ....
When I start the pilot it needs to warm up. If I try to engage it in gear it stalls and hard to start up. If I let it warm up then it runs like a top no spits or sputters shimmy’s or shakes. I’m very baffled by this

1 - 20 of 21 Posts