Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Honda Pilot EX with 101,000 miles on it. Runs good but with a rather loud ticking noise coming from the engine at idle. Took it to a couple places the dealership recommended a valve adjustment when doing the timing belt. Do you think this going to help?
Thanks,
Muz

·
Registered
226 Posts
It certainly could be the valves. If never done, the valves are due for adjustment so it makes sense to go ahead with this service and see what happens to the noise. Typically, three things are due around 105K miles: timing belt, spark plugs, and valve adjustment.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Sorry to go off topic but this is sorta related. When I was at the dealership having the timing belt replaced (at 81k miles; 11 years; yes) the service manager recommended changing the spark plugs and having the valves adjusted. I told him I’d do the plugs myself, eventually, and have them adjust the valves closer to the 100k mile mark. He said both should be done at the same time and spewed something about the computer having to go through a relearning process. Is there any truth to this?
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sounds like bull****. The computer can relearn twice.
I concur. I doubt there is any “relearning” process triggered by either valves or plugs, but in any event there is no necessity to synchronize these jobs with the timing belt change. Sounds like typical BS from a dealer to close the sale of more service work.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Thanks for confirming guys. It is amazing what the dealer will tell you to drum up more business.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recommend checking and re-torquing your spark plugs. When I bought my 04 I brought it in for a once over and asked about the ticking, the dealer wanted to start pulling it apart to check valves and didn't even mention plugs.

Got home and started checking, sure enough, one of my plugs had backed out and was bouncing around in the hole (amazing that it ran as well as it did). I ended up replacing all of the plugs and that coil pack too as it had gummed it up with oil and burned fuel. For some reason the engine is really picky about the torque on the plugs and they loosen up, and it's a common thing to hear a ticking noise. I'm sure the tech knew exactly what it was (if he didn't he's not very good at his job) and just wanted to milk it for a few hundred dollars more.

Unfortunately the plugs on the back of the engine aren't the most convenient to get to but if you take your time and have the right plug wrench (with a wobble on it) it's not hard to do.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Recently I have a noise from engine and I found the noise from the power steering pump. It made noise when idling and turning left or right. The noise is very bad and I fixed it. Now no more noise from power steering pump. I hope your problem is like that; then it will be an easy fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ticking Noise

Recently I have a noise from engine and I found the noise from the power steering pump. It made noise when idling and turning left or right. The noise is very bad and I fixed it. Now no more noise from power steering pump. I hope your problem is like that; then it will be an easy fix.
I have the same symptoms with ticking at idle and a low noise when turning. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
109 Posts
Good thing you did check your plugs because one of my plugs backed itself out and before I could get it into my mechanic it fell into the friggin engine. My Pilot went into limp mode thankfully and would not let me go any faster than 25 mph. Ruined one of my cylinder solenoids (I think that was it) and fried all of my spark plugs from the misfiring that was caused. No other damage but cost me a pretty penny (in labor) just because I kept putting off taking it into my mechanic to check what I knew was an ongoing issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts