Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Owner of a 2006 EX-L with 97k miles here. Wanted to create a post to see if I could get some feedback from people who have gotten similar work done on their Pilots. Full disclosure, I know nothing about cars so please forgive me for being a newbie! With that out of the way, here we go. I booked an appointment at a local repair shop that I've had good experiences with in the past (they seem to have pretty fair/competitive pricing), and I know for certain my car needs this work done:

-A/C repair (I believe the compressor is bad and needs replacing, hasn't blown cold air in years; only hot air)
-Rear differential fluid change (gears make noise while turning at low speeds)
-Washer fluid reservoir is leaking (saw this after topping off the fluid)
-Engine oil pan gasket leak / coolant leak

I am having them give me a quote on the oil pan gasket leak + the coolant leak before performing any service... but the first 3 items I plan on getting done with 100% certainty. With that in mind, I wanted to see if I could get any input on roughly how much these repairs might cost? I am coming prepared... but I know A/C work tends to be expensive. For those of you who are more mechanically inclined, any numbers you might be able to provide for this model year? Ideally, I'd like to pay 2 grand or less for all of these repairs, but I have no idea how likely that is. Please feel free to give me the harsh truths.

I will do my best to provide any additional info you might need. Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thank you all so much! Happy to be here.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Hi all,

Owner of a 2006 EX-L with 97k miles here. Wanted to create a post to see if I could get some feedback from people who have gotten similar work done on their Pilots. Full disclosure, I know nothing about cars so please forgive me for being a newbie! With that out of the way, here we go. I booked an appointment at a local repair shop that I've had good experiences with in the past (they seem to have pretty fair/competitive pricing), and I know for certain my car needs this work done:

-A/C repair (I believe the compressor is bad and needs replacing, hasn't blown cold air in years; only hot air)

I am having them give me a quote on the oil pan gasket leak + the coolant leak before performing any service... but the first 3 items I plan on getting done with 100% certainty. With that in mind, I wanted to see if I could get any input on roughly how much these repairs might cost? I am coming prepared... but I know A/C work tends to be expensive. For those of you who are more mechanically inclined, any numbers you might be able to provide for this model year? Ideally, I'd like to pay 2 grand or less for all of these repairs, but I have no idea how likely that is. Please feel free to give me the harsh truths.

I will do my best to provide any additional info you might need. Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thank you all so much! Happy to be here.
Hello,
Your questions sight unseen is difficult to answer.
I wouldn't say the compressor is bad without checking relays, fuses, freon level and checking for leaks.
Are both cooling fans working properly?
Is the engine light on?
A washer fluid leak will take a mechanic some time to troubleshoot.
The coolant leak is concerning. From where is it leaking? What is the condition of the coolant?
Is the oil pan really the source of the oil leak? Could possibly be valve cover gaskets?
Has the PCV valve ever been replaced?
Has the timing belt and water pump ever been replaced?
Do you know the vehicle's service history?
Sorry for all the questions. My mind goes in to overload with concerns.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Hi all,

Owner of a 2006 EX-L with 97k miles here

IMO a 2006 with 97K is worth looking into investing some time, money to rejuvenate and perform routine maintenance (big one is the timing belt). If you can remove the washer fluid reservoir you can put a new one in DIY. Replace the rear diff fluid with OEM fluid (VTM-4) DIY. It’s time to replace the radiator, hoses and coolant then the leak should be gone. Once all the above is done have the a/c professionally looked at. Do NOT use the instant a/c fix-it-can.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
Two great answers. A commonly reported AC problem on first gen was stone damage to the condenser. A shop can test with dye.
new condenser solves the problem.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
If the compressor is bad it's not cheap to have the dealer replace. A couple years ago we had the A/C compressor, clutch and belt replaced at the dealer and it was over $2000 for everything...
Most A/C work is never inexpensive no matter dealer or independent except when DIY however it’s a specialty job and needs to be done right.
On date night i
Lip Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design
got to have a/c.....

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,871 Posts
Hi all,

I am having them give me a quote on the oil pan gasket leak + the coolant leak before performing any service... but the first 3 items I plan on getting done with 100% certainty.
In regards to your list, #3 is a zip, zero, nada, nothing issue compared to #1, #2 & #4. Those are the three that should be done with 100% certainty. #2 & #4 are the most critical. All the cold AC in the world doesn't mean squat if the vehicle isn't drivable and you can carry a bottle of windex and a roll of paper towels for #3 until you can get around to fixing it.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
When I bought my 2004 last year, the A/C blew warm air. Turns out it's a common fault that small holes develop in the end fittings of the high pressure A/C hose that will cause the refrigerant to leak out within a few days of when you recharge it. I bought a replacement hose for like $70, some cheap A/C recharge gages and a vacuum for my air compressor, and 2 cans of R-134A. You have to remove the front bumper and grill replace the hose, but for less than $100, I had my A/C working great and it's been holding just fine for the past year.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
Any trouble lights, and can you (or someone you know) hook up a scanner to see if there are any codes? Some auto parts chains will pull up your code for free.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,181 Posts
It might not be a bad idea to have the mechanic perform a full inspection of the vehicle and quote all the issues before performing any of the repairs. There may be more additional issues that you don’t know about, and having everything out on the table may make it easier to decide whether to put money into repairing the Pilot or using what you would have spent on repairs for a down payment on something else. It will likely cost you an hour labor at shop rate (likely won’t be worse than $200 if you live in the most expensive area) to find out what you’re up against.

The general consensus on this forum seems that the 10 year old mark is when it becomes less economical to keep a vehicle if you’re paying someone to do the repairs. Your current financial situation will be another factor if it makes sense to repair it or sell it.

Keep us posted with what you end up doing.

And welcome to the forum.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
426 Posts
The engine oli/coolant is concerning. I wouldn't fix the other problems unless I know why the oil and coolant are leaking. Is it a bad head gasket, water pump. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. If those 2 are mixing, you should get that resolved first or you may have serious engine problems.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot 2WD
71 Posts
Hi all,

-Engine oil pan gasket leak / coolant leak 4

On the Washer Fluid Reservoir-Replace the hose on the bottom of the tank. That is where mine leaks too. You can put a hose clamp on it and get some more time out of it, but a hose replacement is likely all you need.

On the AC- Are you sure it is the compressor? I would have your condenser checked for leaks. Since it sits in front of the radiator, it is most likely to be hit with debris. Sticks, tree limbs, although small, can penetrate the condenser.

The engine oil pan gasket leak/coolant leak can be expensive. The oil leak can be as simple as the drain plug or more expensive like the main seal. I've had oil change places stretch the threads on the oil pan by over tightening the drain plug. Two ways to fix, Helicoil or replace the oil pan. The oil pan will cost $300-$400 to replace. Helicoil likely around $150. Don't know the cost on the main seal.

On the coolant leak, it may be time to do a timing belt change and replace the water pump at the same time. Most likely, the water pump is leaking. Timing belt/water pump replace is about $1200. If you are mechanically inclined, you can do it yourself in about 12 hours + $200 or so.

You have a very low mileage Pilot. I wish I had one with so few miles. I have 343,000 on my 2006 Pilot. It has served me well. Been the best all around long lasting vehicle I have owned so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
10 yrs... good luck finding a car as reliable. I'll Sink $ in my 05 Pilot before buying any of the new stuff. Unless the subframe is rusted (not in my climate zone) these cars are money, no matter what KBB says.
BTW, 06 was first year VCM if I recall. My wife's 12 Odyssey had issues. Something to look at.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts