Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay pull into work my gas light came on, left later and got to a Shell gas station no issues and filled up.

About 2 miles down the road it went to bogging out and finally shut off. Would crank but no start not even a sputter.
Got it towed home and got some time to mess with it today but i cannot figure out whats keeping it from starting....

-Cranks like it should but no fire
-Fuel pump primes and stays on
-If i spray starter fluid right at the throttle body it will start and run until it burns up all the starter fluid
-Injectors are pulsing and firing, took them out with lines attached and literally watched them spray
-pumped out about half a tank from it and put in 6 gallons of fuel from another gas station, no change
-only CEL codes are the P0300-P0306 misfire codes and nothing else

A this point im scratching my head cause it seems to have spark and compression to fire on the starter fluid but will not burn the gas from the injectors. Bad gas? Fuel pump strainer stopped up from running it till the gas light came on? would low fuel pressure from something like that not let the gas atomize properly to burn?

thinking about filling the fuel lines with starting fluid and seeing if it will burn it through the injectors instead of through the intake. anybody got any other ideas? lol

·
Registered
2007 EX-L
404 Posts
Low fuel pressure could definitely do it. I can't remember if there is a shraeder valve on the fuel rail or not right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Low fuel pressure could definitely do it. I can't remember if there is a shraeder valve on the fuel rail or not right now.
theres not i looked everywhere, there must be a way to get a fuel pressure reading but its those plastic looking fuel lines that just snap together so i dont even know how to go about it

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Okay pull into work my gas light came on, left later and got to a Shell gas station no issues and filled up.

About 2 miles down the road it went to bogging out and finally shut off. Would crank but no start not even a sputter.
Got it towed home and got some time to mess with it today but i cannot figure out whats keeping it from starting....

-Cranks like it should but no fire
-Fuel pump primes and stays on
-If i spray starter fluid right at the throttle body it will start and run until it burns up all the starter fluid
-Injectors are pulsing and firing, took them out with lines attached and literally watched them spray
-pumped out about half a tank from it and put in 6 gallons of fuel from another gas station, no change
-only CEL codes are the P0300-P0306 misfire codes and nothing else

A this point im scratching my head cause it seems to have spark and compression to fire on the starter fluid but will not burn the gas from the injectors. Bad gas? Fuel pump strainer stopped up from running it till the gas light came on? would low fuel pressure from something like that not let the gas atomize properly to burn?

thinking about filling the fuel lines with starting fluid and seeing if it will burn it through the injectors instead of through the intake. anybody got any other ideas? lol
For an engine to run you need compression, timing, fuel, and spark. You don't have fuel. The fact that it will only run on ether sprayed into the intake tells you that this is a fuel problem. It's got to be either the fuel pump in the tank, or the fuel pressure regulator. I'm not sure if your Pilot has a tank mounted regulator, or if the regulator is on the fuel rail at the intake manifold. Time for you to do a little research, or else ask one of the gurus on this site to come on down!

I suspect that it's the fuel pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For an engine to run you need compression, timing, fuel, and spark. You don't have fuel. The fact that it will only run on ether sprayed into the intake tells you that this is a fuel problem. It's got to be either the fuel pump in the tank, or the fuel pressure regulator. I'm not sure if your Pilot has a tank mounted regulator, or if the regulator is on the fuel rail at the intake manifold. Time for you to do a little research, or else ask one of the gurus on this site to come on down!

I suspect that it's the fuel pump.
no easy way to check the fuel pressure on this thing but i eyeballed it when i turned the key and had the fuel line disconnected. didnt spray out under very much pressure more like a water hose with no nozzle on the end. fuel pressure regulator is on the pump housing on this one. new pump assembly come with a new pressure regulator right?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
Definitely have to consider that the fuel is bad. The car was running just fine until you refueled.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,197 Posts
Definitely have to consider that the fuel is bad. The car was running just fine until you refueled.

But if nothing you can narrow down explains or fixes it, here's another outlier to verify.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay so rigged up a way to check fuel pressure. 52 PSI
seems like a healthy number

now what? fuel must be bad?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SOLVED!

the fuel was trashhhh. didnt think fuel straight out the pump could be bad enough to the point that the engine will not burn it but that was the case.

1.5 bottles of octane booster and keeping it running with starter fluid until it pulled the stuff thru the fuel lines worked

runs great now thanks everyone who contributed

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
That is fantastic news....

Now to go back to the gas station and get reimbursed for all the time and money you spent fixing it.

Its odd we've had a few similar reports recently. Wonder why.....

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
Thanks for the update. Glad you got the problem solved. One of the reasons I only use Top Tier fuel is to make sure I have good fuel in the tank.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,197 Posts
got to a Shell gas station no issues and filled up.
the fuel was trashhhh. didnt think fuel straight out the pump could be bad enough to the point that the engine will not burn it but that was the case.
I know I too would have a hard time resisting the highly compelling draw of pulling into a gas station that has a sign out front advertising gas at 26.9¢ a gallon, especially when you can also liquor up on the premises, but sometimes it's just best to keep driving to a more upscale facility.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts