Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey-
Need some opinions. I have an -04 with 250K on it, still going strong. Love it.
I need a car for my college bound daughter. I found an '06 with Navi. with 168K on it, clean Car Fax (3 owners, no accidents),
well taken care of by Honda dealer (and 100k serpent belt service done as well). Newer brakes, new battery,
air bag recall done. Everything else is original....I know these models have had issues with radiator, starter, and front end bushings but nothing noted on CarFax
They want $4900. I'm going to test drive but this seems like a really good deal.
Thoughts???

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,316 Posts
FWD or AWD?
Look at the rear subframe and read wheel arch for rust.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just some thoughts:
  • Navi in the age of smart phones seems redundant to me (unless you're a professional driver)
  • I bet you could find a car in that price range without Navi in good shape with way less miles
  • Is this a nearby community college or a university that's hours away? If she has car issues hours away at school you'll be at the mercy of a local shop.
  • If your '04 is reliable, maybe give her your car and drive the '06...either temporarily or permanently.

·
Registered
570 Posts
  • If your '04 is reliable, maybe give her your car and drive the '06...either temporarily or permanently.
That's what I would do, too, at a minimum. The '06 is going to need some rehab - at 250k, there's a lot that's just worn out. My list basic would include full front suspension, rear shocks, motor mounts, radiator hoses, thermostat, and a new timing belt / tensioner / water pump if the last one was done at 100k. And that's before going over it to look for more.

If you can do this work yourself, yeah, I would say it's a pretty good deal, even with $1,500 - $2,000 for the parts. If not, add $3-4k to the tab and see if it still feels good.

To me, the bottom line is whether you think the '06 is solid enough to warrant some additional investment to make it solid. As @bustedmouse noted, you don't want her running into this stuff piecemeal when she's away from home.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,571 Posts
How perfect does the car need to be? As long as it is mechanically reliable, there’s no problem driving it around with old and worn out suspension parts especially because it’s a first car. If you have your heart set on this Pilot, take care of the stuff that will potentially leave her stranded. Also, know that things will break. Some things will require immediate attention while others can be deferred for a bit. This is an old high mileage vehicle.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
For a car this old and with this mileage, and the price you're paying for it - you're nuts if you plan on fixing it up. These go for $1500-2000 Canadian here and most are just hauled out to the junkyard as they don't sell. Your $4900+$3K in parts and repairs should get you a 2006 with sub-100K miles on the ODO.

If the car is all original, then any bolt you remove on it will end up pulling a dozen other parts with it. The nice thing, I suppose, is that now there are plenty of 1st Gen Pilots sitting in the junkyards, but most of them are badly worn and not many parts can really be reused.
Buy her a car that she can drive to the ground without any repairs. If you're still thinking Honda - buy her an older CIVIC of Accord instead. Plenty of parts in boneyards for these too and they are way cheaper.

Also, NAVI is not a benefit at this time. Most proprietary NAVI systems suck, majority of people just use smartphone apps instead. Which is why majority of smarter manufacturers just focused on iOS and Android device synching, so you can just run your Google Maps on the main screen.
On an older car it's also an additional complication and a thing to fail.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The 06 is not the one with 250k miles.
You're right.

I would still put my daughter in the one I'm confident in while working through the list on the '06.

It's all priorities, though. For me, the improvement of the day to day driving experience after taking care of all the stuff that was worn at 15 years / 135k was well worth the time and expense. Hopefully, I'm on my way to 250k, too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
$4900 for an '06 with 168K that's been taken care of is a fair deal. The advantage of two similar vehicles is now you have a fleet and can transfer knowledge of one to the other.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update-
The car was a piece of junk. Navi/camera did not work. Front quarter panel had huge dent in it and something smelled bad inside car. Brakes shot too.
The cliche line: If it sounds too good to be true....went thru. my mind after leaving.

I looked at a 2008 Toyota Highlander limited with 133K on it. Spotless CarFax and then did a test drive. Very nice but it sounds louder and not as comfortable as my '04 Pilot.
And they wanted 12500 for it (with no negotiation allowed) I got a used '08 Pilot Exl last summer with 135K on it for $8K. I guess I'm just going to have to keep looking and timing will be everything when a "good one" pops up.
I'm constantly browsing Car Gurus and Autotrder.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
Just as important as knowing when to snag a good deal is knowing when to walk away.

Glad you figured out the right move on your own right away, but this great guide can also help as your quest continues...

Anecdotally, last summer we ended up get my college-age daughter a 2007 EX-L for about six grand*, after going from long list to short list to walking away to finding it.

*Canadian papiermarks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah don't feel bad. The morning we bought our Pilot we had been a recent quest for a 4WD Xterra, first-gen probably.

Drove an hour to look at a good deal, it had some minor issues but seemed pretty solid. Right before I turned it off I noticed the odometer was 100K higher than advertised.

"I think we'll go to lunch and talk about it." ... Which we were going to do anyway.

Thinking about it some more we texted the seller, asking about the odometer.

"Yes, that's kilometers."

·
Registered
10,238 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Geez. Ask him for pics of the speedometer (to see if it's in mph or kph). View attachment 149198
Most speedometers if they are analog dials (as this one was) will of course be printed in both mph or kph, for the occasional jaunt across the border. And the primary scale was mph, not kph.

But even digital odometers (as this one was) will not be switchable between the two. You'd have to swap out the entire cluster to "switch" over to the other. He said the Xterra was his uncle's. He didn't say his uncle bought it in Canada, and I didn't feel like suggesting such a story.

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
Most speedometers if they are analog dials (as this one was) will of course be printed in both mph or kph, for the occasional jaunt across the border. And the primary scale was mph, not kph.

But even digital odometers (as this one was) will not be switchable between the two. You'd have to swap out the entire cluster to "switch" over to the other. He said the Xterra was his uncle's. He didn't say his uncle bought it in Canada, and I didn't feel like suggesting such a story.
Correct.

Yeah, it fell off his uncle's truck in Canada.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts