Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 EX-L (Should be an EX-V, 'cuz vinyl, lol)
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got around to checking the R-134A level in the EX-L, and it was well in the green range before I put any coolant in. I expected it to have a leak, because that's my kinda luck. I assumed that it would be a major problem like that, but if the system's still sealed and the compressor spins just fine with no binding or rattling what else should I check?

It didn't sound as if the compressor kicked on at all, with the AC running full blast and a good charge in the unit. I guess the problem could be a switch or a relay, or maybe the clutch on the front of the compressor.

Any tips as to where I should look first?

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
So I finally got around to checking the R-134A level in the EX-L, and it was well in the green range before I put any coolant in. I expected it to have a leak, because that's my kinda luck. I assumed that it would be a major problem like that, but if the system's still sealed and the compressor spins just fine with no binding or rattling what else should I check?

It didn't sound as if the compressor kicked on at all, with the AC running full blast and a good charge in the unit. I guess the problem could be a switch or a relay, or maybe the clutch on the front of the compressor.

Any tips as to where I should look first?
Your sure the system isn't over charged with freon? I've had to recover freon, pull vacuum again, then recharge.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not overcharged, I actually checked it before putting in R-134a, and it was in the "good" range. Unless the gauge was off, that is.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
It's not overcharged, I actually checked it before putting in R-134a, and it was in the "good" range. Unless the gauge was off, that is.
Has it ever lost vacuum is a key point.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
417 Posts
If vacuum is good and then charged good then I would verify the clutch does kick in and if not- rotate relays around to check relays. Then send 12v positive directly to clutch to see if kicks in. If not- either the ground that pulls in the clutch is shot or the clutch is shot (where I am presently on my 2005). I plan on replacing the whole compressor and having a shop do the vacuum/ recovery/fill process if less than 75$
Disclaimer- my 1st time jacking with auto ac

·
Registered
143 Posts
A couple notes:
  • The "green" range on your manifold gauge does NOT indicate that you are properly charged. This is definitely a case of YMMV, but the only way to know that you have the proper amount of refrigerant in your system is to recover all refrigerant, pull a vacuum, then re-charge it with the proper amount of refrigerant using a scale. Again, YMMV.
  • Put a little bit of AC dye in the system so that if there is a leak, you can detect it.
  • The compressor will not engage until there is adequate pressure in the system.
  • There might also be a safe guard for "pressure in the system, but no refrigerant". Anyone know about this?
  • A busted clutch is also possible. You can check the clutch for obvious issues by removing the clutch portion of the compressor without removing the compressor itself from the block.
  • Relays and fuses obviously.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand now. This is all very helpful, thanks everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts