Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black 06 pilot exl and have noticed that the plastic door molding has some issues. The clear plastic (clear coat) on the door molding has begun to become hazy in color and has started to flake/peel off of the surface. I am not 100 % sure but it may just be a coating over the panel which may or may not be black plastic and not painted. The result is a flat color underneath that does not match the rest of the Pilot's brilliant shine. I have to remove the molding anyways because some of the clips have broken that hold it on and the 3M double sided tape that assists in keeping it attached to the body of the car is starting to deteriorate and separate. Does anyone know of a way this can be repaired without ordering new pre-painted moldings or is it possible to repaint these parts myself.

Murphy's Law......it is always something!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If by repainting yourself you mean buying a spray can and using it, than yes, of course it is possible to DIY.
But the quality will be nowhere near shop painted.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have a black 06 pilot exl and have noticed that the plastic door molding has some issues. The clear plastic (clear coat) on the door molding has begun to become hazy in color and has started to flake/peel off of the surface. I am not 100 % sure but it may just be a coating over the panel which may or may not be black plastic and not painted. The result is a flat color underneath that does not match the rest of the Pilot's brilliant shine. I have to remove the molding anyways because some of the clips have broken that hold it on and the 3M double sided tape that assists in keeping it attached to the body of the car is starting to deteriorate and separate. Does anyone know of a way this can be repaired without ordering new pre-painted moldings or is it possible to repaint these parts myself.

Murphy's Law......it is always something!
If you are handy I would give it a shot with the spray can. I would recommend some practice painting before trying on the actual piece. Before you start the project. Make sure you have the right conditions to paint, because things can get ugly. The main thing is to sand the old clear coat off with 600 grit sand paper. Use at least 3 coats of paint and 6 coats of clear to get the shine. Perfect match Dupli color paint is what I used for my trim pieces. Don't wax for at least 6 months.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
And go slowly! Otherwise you are in for re-sanding and starting from scratch.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for your responses and insight, it is frustrating to say the least. The Pilot is over 10 years old and is approaching 220,000 miles on the body and interior. The engine and transmission have 100,000 miles on them and many other parts under the hood and the suspension are new so I am trying to keep the condition of the exterior and interior looking nice. Just one more weekend project going on the list.

Thanks for everyone's time,
Scott

P.S. Roll Tide Roll!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Did you paint that grill yourself? That might look awesome on my black Pilot.
I did the project in two days. First day was dismantling, cleaning and sanding. The second day was painting. When painting make sure the temp is 70 to 80 degrees in the shade and not windy. Basically I had to sand the chrome dull using 600 grit sand paper. Then I washed it thoroughly and wiped it down with alcohol. I used 3 coats of dupli color adhesion promoter primer. Then 4 coats of dupli color color match paint. Finally 6 coats of dupli color match clear. This step is what makes it blend into the car. I waited 10 mins between coats and 30 mins from paint to clear. The first two coats should be a light, then heavier as you go along. Let it dry for at least 2 days and do not wax for at least 6 months. To bring out the shine you can use a fine buffing compound after a week. Practice and be patient and watch videos on youtube for spray can techniques. Total cost was about $45.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts