Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, hi...and BIG THANKS to all of you for the helpful...and saving...posts and instruction! You have saved me so much money and time and I'm sincerely grateful!

Now, I'm kind of stuck. I can't locate the Idle Air Control Valve on my 2006 4WD EX-L, 3.5V6 Pilot and I'm wondering if this engine/year even has one. Here's the background: Engine & VTM-4 lights came on, rough idle at start up (can't remember which started first). Codes from Autozone revealed the expected P0300-P0306 codes. Studied this forum, and internet. I had changed the spark plugs 2 months ago and and found small oil leak at #5 spark plug, so I planned to replace valve cover & plug seals as part of this repair.

I couldn't find a vacuum leak (carb cleaner method; may try propane next) so I removed intake manifold & plenum cover, thoroughly cleaned both along with throttle body and replaced gaskets. Exhaust ports/channels on plenum cover were discolored but no residue or particles found, but cleaned both anyway. Replaced EGR valve & PCV valve. Replaced air tube connected to throttle body as I found cracks in it. Still rough idle at start up, Engine light comes on every time and occasionally VTM-4 light but that is erratic. So, further study pointed to IACV, but...I can't find it anywhere and every part search indicates the displayed IACV doesn't fit my vehicle.

What am I missing? Is this a "Doh!" moment?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Forgot to add that I also replaced the coils. To summarize, I replaced:

Coils
Spark Plugs
EGR valve
PCV valve
Air Intake Tube
Valve Cover gasket
Spark Plug seals & grommets
Cleaned intake manifold, exhaust ports
Cleaned throttle body & replaced gasket
replaced intake manifold & plenum cover gaskets
checked for vacuum leaks

Running out of ideas so found some threads pointing to Idle Air Control Valve, but can't find it nor can I find part number that specifically matches my vehicle. So, does a 2006 4WD EX-L 3.5L V6 have one? The usual position is attached to the bottom of the throttle body, but there doesn't look like one is attached to mine (see attachment). Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Do you have a throttle cable? If so, then you have an IAC (Idle Air Control Valve)

If you don't have a throttle cable, then its a "Drive by wire" and those DO NOT have an IAC. Idle Airflow is regulated by the ECM adjusting the actual throttle plate. There is no bypass.

Your misfires could be resolved with a valve adjustment. They actually get tighter over time and may not be closing completely

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the explanation. I have drive by wire. Tried to post thanks a week ago, but errors prevented me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts