Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adjusted the valves on my 2005 Pilot with 180k last weekend. As far as I know the valves had never been checked. Figured I would share what I found. I didn't pay attention to any valve noisy pre-adjustment, but the motor idles nice and quiet post-adjustment.

Cyl. 1: Intake: 0.010"/0.011" - Exhaust: 0.010"/0.011"
Cyl. 2: Intake: 0.011"/0.011" - Exhaust: 0.010"/0.009"
Cyl. 3: Intake: 0.011"/0.011" - Exhaust: 0.011"/0.010"
Cyl. 4: Intake: 0.012"/0.012" - Exhaust: 0.009"/0.012"
Cyl. 5: Intake: 0.012"/0.011" - Exhaust: 0.012"/0.012"
Cyl. 6: Intake_ 0.011"/.0.011" - Exhaust: 0.008"/0.012"

·
Registered
291 Posts
Interesting data.

Versus spec, all the intakes are slightly loose loose and most of the exhausts are slightly tight, both by about .001" to .003". This data is consistent with the general rule of thumb that intake clearances tend to loosen due to valvetrain wear and exhaust clearances tend to tighten due to valve seat erosion as the exhaust valves run considerably hotter.

Probably good you adjusted them, but I doubt you would have had any big problems for awhile.

I'm debating whether to adjust mine now at 120K. I'm sure many of mine are slightly out too, but OTOH, the adjustment is considerable work and I'm not getting any younger for this sort of serious wrenching. I could have the dealer do it, but frankly, I don't trust them for meticulous work like this, especially since there is no real way to verify exactly what they did.

Thanks for posting, it gives me some level of confidence to just let it slide for another year or two.

- Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bought my 2008 Pilot a couple weeks ago, has 167k on the odometer. I spent probably an hour looking over the thing before I bought it, even plugged my scan tool in and checked it out.

Had pending codes for all cylinders random misfire and idled a little rough, especially when cold. Other than that, the vehicle looks to have been pretty well maintained and in good shape. It was priced well, so despite needing a few things I bought it and am very happy with it.

First thing I did was replace the spark plugs with the prescribed NGK Iridium plugs from the owners manual. Old plugs looked ok, but were probably due to be changed anyway.

Next order of business was the valve adjustment. Just got around to that a couple days ago. Took me about five hours, although my six year old wanted to be somewhat involved for some of that, but the quality time with the kid was worth the delay.

At any rate, I'm not sure if the valve adjustment had been done before. All the intake valves looked good except one, which was only maybe .001" or .002" more than spec. ALL the exhaust valves were tight. I think the best one was about .005", which is WAY to tight. The worst couple had no clearance at all! I was a initially a little skeptical that the valve adjustment would cure my idle and running issues, but I figured that since it was scheduled maintenance, it was worth doing. Once I got in and saw how bad they were, I was VERY happy that I was doing it! I adjusted all of the exhaust valves to the upper end of the spec (.013" if I remember correctly) to account for any more tightening that may occur.

Now that it's done and all put back together, it runs like a new engine! Idle and misfire problems are gone, and although I haven't plugged in my scan tool, I have no doubt that the valve clearance was the root of my problems!

Next project is replacing the struts, shocks and springs and replacing all the fluids.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Glad to see proof positive of the benefits of the scheduled maintenance valve adjustment Honda calls for. I've continued to put mine off.

Plug your scan tool in again for a look-see.

Glad you're happy with the noticeable improvement, and the bonus is the quality time with your little one.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I'm debating whether to adjust mine now at 120K.
... it gives me some level of confidence to just let it slide for another year or two.
Let it slide until you see a check engine light and get misfire codes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts