Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adjusted the valves on my 2005 Pilot with 180k last weekend. As far as I know the valves had never been checked. Figured I would share what I found. I didn't pay attention to any valve noisy pre-adjustment, but the motor idles nice and quiet post-adjustment.

Cyl. 1: Intake: 0.010"/0.011" - Exhaust: 0.010"/0.011"
Cyl. 2: Intake: 0.011"/0.011" - Exhaust: 0.010"/0.009"
Cyl. 3: Intake: 0.011"/0.011" - Exhaust: 0.011"/0.010"
Cyl. 4: Intake: 0.012"/0.012" - Exhaust: 0.009"/0.012"
Cyl. 5: Intake: 0.012"/0.011" - Exhaust: 0.012"/0.012"
Cyl. 6: Intake_ 0.011"/.0.011" - Exhaust: 0.008"/0.012"

·
Registered
306 Posts
Interesting data.

Versus spec, all the intakes are slightly loose loose and most of the exhausts are slightly tight, both by about .001" to .003". This data is consistent with the general rule of thumb that intake clearances tend to loosen due to valvetrain wear and exhaust clearances tend to tighten due to valve seat erosion as the exhaust valves run considerably hotter.

Probably good you adjusted them, but I doubt you would have had any big problems for awhile.

I'm debating whether to adjust mine now at 120K. I'm sure many of mine are slightly out too, but OTOH, the adjustment is considerable work and I'm not getting any younger for this sort of serious wrenching. I could have the dealer do it, but frankly, I don't trust them for meticulous work like this, especially since there is no real way to verify exactly what they did.

Thanks for posting, it gives me some level of confidence to just let it slide for another year or two.

- Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bought my 2008 Pilot a couple weeks ago, has 167k on the odometer. I spent probably an hour looking over the thing before I bought it, even plugged my scan tool in and checked it out.

Had pending codes for all cylinders random misfire and idled a little rough, especially when cold. Other than that, the vehicle looks to have been pretty well maintained and in good shape. It was priced well, so despite needing a few things I bought it and am very happy with it.

First thing I did was replace the spark plugs with the prescribed NGK Iridium plugs from the owners manual. Old plugs looked ok, but were probably due to be changed anyway.

Next order of business was the valve adjustment. Just got around to that a couple days ago. Took me about five hours, although my six year old wanted to be somewhat involved for some of that, but the quality time with the kid was worth the delay.

At any rate, I'm not sure if the valve adjustment had been done before. All the intake valves looked good except one, which was only maybe .001" or .002" more than spec. ALL the exhaust valves were tight. I think the best one was about .005", which is WAY to tight. The worst couple had no clearance at all! I was a initially a little skeptical that the valve adjustment would cure my idle and running issues, but I figured that since it was scheduled maintenance, it was worth doing. Once I got in and saw how bad they were, I was VERY happy that I was doing it! I adjusted all of the exhaust valves to the upper end of the spec (.013" if I remember correctly) to account for any more tightening that may occur.

Now that it's done and all put back together, it runs like a new engine! Idle and misfire problems are gone, and although I haven't plugged in my scan tool, I have no doubt that the valve clearance was the root of my problems!

Next project is replacing the struts, shocks and springs and replacing all the fluids.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,503 Posts
Glad to see proof positive of the benefits of the scheduled maintenance valve adjustment Honda calls for. I've continued to put mine off.

Plug your scan tool in again for a look-see.

Glad you're happy with the noticeable improvement, and the bonus is the quality time with your little one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2005 Honda Pilot with 205k miles on the clock, and recently adjusted my valves. Here's my pre-adjustment measurements along with what I was aiming for per manufacture's specifications.

It seems my intake measurements are pretty spot on with Jermey S, but my exhaust were way off (i.e. very tight). Oh and I should note, that some of my 0.006" measurements were actually tighter where I could not get the feeler gauge in there. But since this is the thinnest I had, I just mark it as 0.006.

All in all, my pilot seems to idle and run smoother/crisper. See this thread for the reason why I adjusted my valves. 2006 Honda Pilot EX AWD check engine and VTM-4 light

·
Registered
2006 EX-L (Should be an EX-V, 'cuz vinyl, lol)
106 Posts
I need to do this as well as replace the timing belt, but it's going to be a while before I get the time to actually do them. Mine is at 205K and I just bought it, so I've got plenty to keep me occupied until this happens.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot
35 Posts
I just finished adjusting the valves on my daughter's 2005. I put the intakes to .008 and the exhaust to .013. Most were similar to the posts above as in the intake valves were really loose and the exhaust valves were tight. Runs so much smoother and quieter now. It was not getting good fuel mileage before...that should have improved. Time will tell.

·
Registered
106 Posts
So what's the consensus for the target clearances? 0.008" or 0.009" for intake and 0.013" for exhaust? I finally bought a valve cover gasket set and have a free long weekend.

·
Registered
106 Posts
While I'm at it, I just had the codes read and one popped up indicating an oil pressure sending unit issue. Anyone replace one of those and is it hard to get to? I figure I'll be right there when I remove the rear valve cover anyway, so it's probably a good idea to swap in a new one to be safe. Just hoping to head off any issues if someone has experience with this one.

·
Registered
11,750 Posts
While I'm at it, I just had the codes read and one popped up indicating an oil pressure sending unit issue. Anyone replace one of those and is it hard to get to? I figure I'll be right there when I remove the rear valve cover anyway, so it's probably a good idea to swap in a new one to be safe. Just hoping to head off any issues if someone has experience with this one.
What is the code exactly?

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's on the printout from AutoZone, sitting on my desk at home, lol. Naturally I wouldn't remember it either. I'll check it later tonight and let you know.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Valves are adjusted, and it only took me about eight hours. Yeesh. No check engine light, however. Everything works perfectly...except the hood latch. Now I have to figure out why it isn't rotating and allowing the bar to pass into the latch mechanism..

It's always something, lol.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot
35 Posts
So what's the consensus for the target clearances? 0.008" or 0.009" for intake and 0.013" for exhaust? I finally bought a valve cover gasket set and have a free long weekend.
I adjusted to the tight limit on the intakes and loose limit on the exhaust.

·
Registered
Honda Pilot 2005 : now 280K (bought at 250k, at 237k new engine swap with used one of 82k)
58 Posts
Today... I asked my friendly trusty honest mechanic if I should have the valves adjusted... He replied me that we cannot adjust the valves on these kind of model (a 2005 pilot) because it is "hydraulically controlled" ... Mmmh I guess he does not know much about this model because obviously it is possible (by looking at this forum). If he cannot do it... my only last option where I live is the Official Honda garage, but will they ask me gold bars for doing this job? What do you think? How much could they ask me for that kind of job?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,503 Posts
Was your friendly trusty honest mechanic just hired by Canadian Tire during the pandemic, lol?

Honest is one thing, but competency counts, too.

I'm honest, but you probably wouldn't want me doing your engine and transmission rebuild. Heck, I sometimes don't even trust myself retorquing my oil filter. :D

Where are you located, again? If there's a Honda dealership within range, call them and get a quote. From there, calculate how much you'd save (driving time and gas included) getting it done by a competent, honest mechanic farther afield.

·
Registered
Honda Pilot 2005 : now 280K (bought at 250k, at 237k new engine swap with used one of 82k)
58 Posts
Was your friendly trusty honest mechanic just hired by Canadian Tire during the pandemic, lol?
Haha ... I know... But if ended up trying to do all the DIY when it comes to mechanic it is because I learned that there is not any mechanic out there that I can trust unfortunately. All the people I trusted concerning mechanic in the past (in watchmaking it is the same, and I ended up servicing watches myself), and despite their fame, always ended up with big disappointments. The lesson is we are only better served by ourselves... And fortunately there are wonderful people and forum like here on Piloteers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts