Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 has about 220K miles on it. It was running fine when I parked in the evening, the next morning when I started it the "D" on the shift indicator was blinking and continued to blink. The car moves in reverse and in
D3 but will not move at all in "D". The malfunction alert light "check engin"e light is lit and was not before. Any ideas or thoughts will be most appreciated. Thanks, Mr. Bill

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
My 2005 has about 220K miles on it. It was running fine when I parked in the evening, the next morning when I started it the "D" on the shift indicator was blinking and continued to blink. The car moves in reverse and in
D3 but will not move at all in "D". The malfunction alert light "check engin"e light is lit and was not before. Any ideas or thoughts will be most appreciated. Thanks, Mr. Bill
The first thing would be to check the transmission fluid. Has it been drained and filled lately?
The ATF used can make a big difference. What kind of ATF is in the transmission?
Is the ground strap between the transmission and frame intact, corrosion free?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
^^^ Start with the steps above.

Next after that would be a 3x drain & fill (not flush) with Valvoline Maxlife ATF, driving a few miles hitting all gears if possible between each D&F.

After that, it would be time to replace the 3rd and 4th gear transmission pressure switches.

BTW, what color is the coolant under your radiator cap? (Open only when cold.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first thing would be to check the transmission fluid. Has it been drained and filled lately?
The ATF used can make a big difference. What kind of ATF is in the transmission?
Is the ground strap between the transmission and frame intact, corrosion free?
Thanks so much for your reply. I had checked the fluid and the level was OK but it was a little murky. I got the car from a family member a couple of months ago.. Once some of the ice and snow is out of the way I will check the fluid status and for sure check that ground strap. I appreciate your help. Be well and safe

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Thanks so much for your reply. I had checked the fluid and the level was OK but it was a little murky. I got the car from a family member a couple of months ago.. Once some of the ice and snow is out of the way I will check the fluid status and for sure check that ground strap. I appreciate your help. Be well and safe
Glad to help. 😊
As was said above a 3 time drain and fill with Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF will help that 5-speed transmission. It's about $18 a gallon at Wal-Mart. After the first drain and fill, drive a few miles warming the engine and transmission up to operating temperature, then do the 2nd. After a week or two, after 100-200 miles or more (no rule), do the 3rd. The long 2nd interval is to let the MaxLife ATF circulate and clean.
Thanks for the well wishes. Same to you.
Please let us know how the vehicle is doing.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
185 Posts
Several years ago I started getting the dreaded Flashing D on my '05 around the 200K mark. It took me awhile to find the problem but in my case the thin wires which lead to the grounding block on the transmission ground(G151 in the FSM) were intact but corroded which created just enough resistance to trigger codes P0974 & P0980. G151 is located on the side of the trans near the drivers-side wheel well. Honda left them exposed to the elements so I bought a new harness on ebay and made sure I applied ample coats of the brush-on insulation to those wires on the new harness assembly.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Several years ago I started getting the dreaded Flashing D on my '05 around the 200K mark. It took me awhile to find the problem but in my case the thin wires which lead to the grounding block on the transmission ground(G151 in the FSM) were intact but corroded which created just enough resistance to trigger codes P0974 & P0980. G151 is located on the side of the trans near the drivers-side wheel well. Honda left them exposed to the elements so I bought a new harness on ebay and made sure I applied ample coats of the brush-on insulation to those wires on the new harness assembly.
Good to hear that a new ground wire solved your problem(s). My ground wire to the transmission was corroded and hanging together by a few strands but never triggered a start or transmission issue. I replaced the corroded OEM ground wire with a 4 gauge wire just to maintain a solid ground in the system.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Good to hear that a new ground wire solved your problem(s). My ground wire to the transmission was corroded and hanging together by a few strands but never triggered a start or transmission issue. I replaced the corroded OEM ground wire with a 4 gauge wire just to maintain a solid ground in the system.
Please keep reposting that pic. There's a new Piloteer that logs on every day. Shame if they never got a chance to see it. :)

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
And where do those cables lurk? The attached diagram can help you locate them more easily.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts